1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DownEaster tailgate spreader: Spread stone,mulch,loam?

Discussion in 'DownEaster' started by mr hydroseed, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Does anyone use their DownEaster tailgate spreader for anything else than salt? I can imagine it would work with 3/8 crushed stone to fill a wheelbarrow under the discharge hole, but what about a sandy loam, wood mulch or 3/4" crushed stone?
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you try it please let me know . I would buy tail gate if it works with mulch
  3. DownEaster

DownEaster Sponsor

tailgate spreader answer

I have read a blog on this site under "dump insert" quote #20 member (4evergreenlawns)who has used his tailgate spreader for spreading soil grass clippings and mulch? Anything larger like 3/8" stone would get bound up in the and tines. So maybe send him a line asking what the pros and cons are? We designed it for Salt and or Sand so we wouldn't be able to reccommend it or give you any type of thumbs up. But 3/8" stone could potentially bind up the Auger and Tines. Hope this helps...DownEaster guy