1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downeaster tailgate spreader question(s).

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plowing in Scar, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Plowing in Scar

Plowing in Scar Junior Member

1/07/15 - 12:37 AM. It's late, I'm tired and I STILL can't get onto Downeasters site, error 503 not available. WTF?
    Anyway, Kooy Bros. replaced the original auger motor 1/17/14 at a cost of: $996.06, parts, labour, and tax. It worked well for the rest of last season (2013 - 2014). In October, I 'fired it up' and the auger didn't move. Kept playing with it, including whacking the tines on the 'beater bar' to try and get it to turn. Finally got it to make one or two turns before the chain broke. Replaced it, as well as lubed up everything, including the chain and it worked fine. In Dec. tried it before getting a load of salt, and it wouldn't turn. It was suggested there was a 'flat spot' in the motor. Later on, I got it working again. About once a week or so, I'd try it and make sure the auger AND spinner were BOTH working. My truck was laid up at the dealership for a few weeks, so I couldn't keep checking the auger, but before the last 'flash freeze' (in the afternoon), I tried both the auger and spinner and both were working. 11:00 PM, went out to go salting, but first, make sure everything is working! Spinner spins, auger doesn't move! Beat the beater bar with small sledge hammer, trying not to disturb the neighbours, but the s.o.b. STILL won't turn. Now I'm in a 'pissy' mood and have to take the newer truck with the Snowex Pro 8000 (they don't make these anymore! It's the one that's about 8ft long and slopes from front to back). Two reasons why I didn't want to use it are, 1) I bent the spinner shaft AGAIN! and it wobbles (turn it up to where I want it and it shakes the truck!, so I have to use a slower speed and not shoot the salt out as far as I'd like), and 2) I have to keep the salt light over the auger, because, apparently (according to Snowex), if the auger more isn't putting out enough power (or amps, I think he said), then the auger won't turn. So now I have to climb up on the back of the truck, shovel some salt to the back, climb back down, drive ahead 'til no more salt comes out, and get out, climb back up, etc., etc. Oh woe is me, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! Since I can't get in touch with Downeaster (if you recall, this was the original question!) what's involved in removing the auger motor to take it in to be re-built? I noticed four (4) bolts on the base. If I remove these, do I just lift the motor up and off? I don't want something popping up/out and having to take it to the plow shop (or maybe Jon @ Pristine if he works REALLY cheap!). I called Kooy Bros., expecting a one (1) year warranty, but they said nope!, forty-five (45) days, that's all ... and I paid $1000.00!!!!!!! I'd like to get a Service Repair Manual, including troubleshooting section for both the Downeaster and Snowex, but can't afford to spend a lot! Money's another problem, but that's for somewhere else in this forum! So, ... Any help/thoughts? Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

2) I have to keep the salt light over the auger, because, apparently (according to Snowex), if the auger more isn't putting out enough power (or amps, I think he said), then the auger won't turn.

Huh....that makes no sense. We have 3 of those same salters. So I'm really familiar with them

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Bring it by. Kooy is way overpriced.

1990 ellesmere unit 16

4. Plowing in Scar

Plowing in Scar Junior Member

diesels, the reply from Snowex was: "... as for the auger motor, you need to check for the number of amps it's using (25 - 30 )." My assumption is that if it's not drawing that amperage then it won't turn the auger. It would be like trying to start your truck in the dead of winter with #80 oil in the engine, rather than 10W30 or 10W40 weight oil. The #80 would be like molasses. That snow we had Jan. 5th, I got one bucket of treated (Clearlane) salt and shoveled some to the back, as I mentioned earlier, and after over 1/2 the salt was used, the vibrator started to work, but wasn't shaking the salt to the back until there was only about an 1/8 of salt left. Then I was "good to go"! When I stop by to see Jon, I'll mention it to him. Previously, it had worked with no problem, but the unit sat (on the back of the 2011 pickup & not used) for about five (5) years. I was actually impressed that nothing was seized up!!