1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

downeaster tailgate help!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by diesellandscape, Dec 19, 2009.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I have a older downeaster dump insert spreader.
    I'm not getting a wide spread and im pretty sure its my spinner disc design.
    anyone mod them?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A couple of questions. First - what are you spreading? Is it sand, wet? Does it make much difference if you rev the motor? Does that have a belt, or is it all chain drive? You could have a slipping belt. I don't know if the clutches ever slip or not......
  3. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

No. It the tailgate spreader for a dump insert. its a chain drive and spinner motors seperate.
    i"m spreading rock salt.
    Its the 1st real snow since i got the spreader on. im getting like a thick 4ft wide span whe the disc is, and looking at it its either dropping it too fat on the outside of the disc (rear towards sheild) and dropping it too soon, or the sheild is too big and doesnt allow a nice spread.
  4. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

i do get a wide pattern, but its not enough to consider salting. the main area is 4ft side to side from chute. (no matter what speed)
  5. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I Have Made Dozens And Dozens Of Replacement Spinners Over The Years. #1 The Uprights Are Very Important I Put 6 When I Make Them. I Give Them Slightly More Diameter. Most Important is CHOKE The CHUTE. Make The Material Hit The Center of The Disc and Then Accellerate To the Outside Edge.Then You Will Spread 2 Lanes Of Interstate. It Does Seem Like You May Be Lacking Power Of Having Some Slipage In The Drive Somewhere.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have the downeaster spreader also, it seems to me that you need to adjust the doors that allow the flow of salt to the spinner head. I would guess you are dropping too much salt on the spinner head and thats why its not throwing it far enough. You should also be able to move the spinner bar side to side a little bite, you may have to drill a few new holes on the rod that it hangs on to move it left or right.

Good Luck Mike
  7. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I Guess I Did Not Go Into Enough Detail as To Choke The Chute. Limit The Flow Out Of the Hopper Feed With The Door, And The Side Doors In the Chute Allow You To AIM The Material Right at The Center of The Spinner. Thats How You Get The Slinging Action.If It All Drops On the Outer Edge Then Is Just Kinda Falls Off
  8. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

Thanks, I just pressue washed everything off/out today and its getting dark. maybe 'll ta tomorrow and adjust the chute and see what i get
  9. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

Hey guys...

opened up the pass side chute the whole way and closed the drivers to match. i also took a 7x5 inch peice of alum. and make an arch that directs the salt towards the center of the spinner. my oh my. I love this spreader, talk about exelent coverage!

downeaster guys i highly recomend this. If anyone wants i can post pics