1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downeaster side boards??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Dec 14, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,
    Have a poly downeaster coming and want to increase it's capacity...has anyone done it easily with the the poly only being 5/16" thick?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hi Steve, you will love it. Mine has about 30+ tons through it in the past couple weeks and so far so good. I had a bunch of salt freeze up in the shoot but after taking a few chunks out it was good to go. As far as side boards you would have to go through both sides and kind of sandwich the board in between braces and secure with a couple carriage bolts. Its not going to carry any weight just some from the salt pushing out a bit. I was going to do this as well but haven't had the time, I was going to use some 2" steel strapping, maybe 1/8 thick and use 4-5 per side and maybe 3 on the front and rear. With the strapping you can bend it if need be because you will probably need to go down at least 6-8 inches with two bolts per strap. PM me if you need any help wiring it up, now that I did mine its a snap.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

why didn't you just buy a bigger spreader?
  4. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

I am guessing the larger spreader would be longer and that the reason for the smaller one. Will not fit in a certain truck. Was thinking of doing this as well but kind of worried about the poly . Seen one last storm but from a distant and he only had 2x4 on it. Interested in ideas as well. Good luck and post pixs.
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

needed it to be 8foot, dual electric,conveyor chain,.... have a 1.8 tornado but didn't want the 2.5 only because i'm not happy with the way they mount the electric motors so it came down to Smith or Downeaster....both priced out very good . I have a Smith (which is great) but wanted to try something new so that's why this one. will post some pics when i get started. thanks for the offer brian...Showme...how've you been? did you make out o.k. in the storm? we burned through almost 80 tons of salt for such a simple event !!!!!
  6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Wow, First for me, 45 mph winds. We did alright ,pushed and salted everything. Loader was down and had to buy salt from kirkwood and wholesale. Thats sucked, Kirkwoods salt is a joke , soaking wet and very dirty. Got a new poly salt dogg and worked ok for the crappy salt.
    Was looking at the torando but went with the dogg. Do you know anybody that works on skidsteers. I think charge pump went out. Did you guys push or salt or both? I seen plenty that were just salted, that never looked good. I can see the salt bin from the 55. Looks great.
    Says we got 4.3 at Lambert. Didnt seem like we got that much.