1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DownEaster salters.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeffNY, Nov 30, 2009.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I was planning on getting the 1.3y for my truck, but im not having much luck with dealers or even the company.
    I asked the dealer a few questions, and he couldn't answer one. Other dealer made it sound like he's never sold one before, "not a real common unit".

Just wanted to know if it was necessary on this small spreader to have dual electric motors or if one is plenty. Also wondering how I can control the amount of salt it dumps, no one seemed to have an answer for me.

Anyone have the 1.3y SS unit?

picture would be great. Only reason I want the 1.3y is because its short enough to fit in my 6.5' bed. The smith is a little too small, and the airflo is a little too long.
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I have used the 1.3 SS from downeaster, great, trouble free unit. I have heard mixed reviews about this years downeaster spreaders, a local dealer says he's had 2 that he sold that came back with drag chain issues he couldn't fix, so he sent them back. The one I used was great.....
  3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Why not go with a plastic electric salter? You can hold 2 yards even in a short box. The unit will stick out a lil no more then a standard V box plus its lighter and you can carry more.

Are these guys close to you at all? I got mine of them last winter.
    Erie @ Jakalas Truck and Auto
    690 N French Rd
    Buffalo, New York 14201
    (716) 691-7330

Buyers Salt dog.
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Jeff
    call Jerre over in Erie PA, I bought both my downeaster dumpbox for my short box and my spreader from him. The spreader was a used Downeaster but it has been trouble free so far. I did buy a new controller from Karrier Company in Ohio and it works great. If you do buy a new dump box spend the extra money and go with SS, don't make the same mistake I did on buying steel.

Regards Mike