1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DownEaster poly spreader review

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Got a chance to use our new 2yrd poly DownEaster V box. First off the instructions were well, a bit vague but got through it. They need a totally seperate set of instructions for each different unit. It helped if the page for the electric set up didn't stick to another page,lol. Installation was fairly easy and after I got all the right parts it worked out well. Back to the results....I only needed to put about 1 yrd though it but that yard spread very evenly and after adjusting the rear gate it was even better. It didn't leave ANY, yes ANY salt residue on the truck which surprised me, it was fairly quiet, the huge vibrator isn't hooked up yet but its double the size of a Karrier 080 unit so I'm sure it will do well. The adjustable spinner speed was great going down driving isles but when I cranked it up to full speed it through salt evenly and about 25-35ft to both sides. All in all so far so good. All that is left now is hook up the vibrator and have someone make a cover for it (one thing I liked about the Fisher V box) but for the difference in price I can make one he!! of a cover!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

what did it run you ? and you said the electric page stuck to another... is yours electric or hyd?
    PS did you get the Aux hyd figured out?
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Glad you liked it. their factory is only 20 minutes from my house. i have a downeaster 10000 lbs dump trailer thats worth its weight in gold! your going to LOVE the vibrator once you get it hooked up!
  4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Even the girls love the vibrator! LOL.

I've got the Fisher Polycaster that works well, but doesn't shoot 30ft on both sides tho :eek:
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Neither does my 1500 Salty Dogg.I'm lucky if I get 10-12'.I'm going to try some kind of redneck steroid fix soon.Let us know more there Brian how she does?I was seriously considering that electric unit last year but money was tight so I went with the Doggy
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

my salt dogg 2yd shoots at least 20' to either side, maybe yours has an issue.
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it has an issue,that spinner motor is simply underpowered.It also favors the driver's side.You're actually only the second person that said they were happy with the spread pattern.
  8. Brian Young

Its dual electric and no the skid steer still has the issue. In fact now it has a starting issue, I'm loosing the prime and it takes forever to get it going. Last night we plowed and salted and it took them 2hrs to get it going. It goes into the dealer Monday. Luckily a Bobcat dealer mechanic was on a service call and was going right by me and did a quick look over and he said either glow plugs are going bad or the check valve for the fuel line is bad or just not there allowing all the fuel to drain out of the lines.
  9. Brian Young

I followed my guy around a lot last night just to make sure he was doing everything right and yeah, the salt had a nice even showering pattern at 20ft. I did adjust the rear gate but its only open about 3 inches off the drag chain (about half way). I think the fact that its on a 1 ton dump and it has the standard length shoot which looks like it sits up a bit more would let it shoot out further. IDK but it works very well, we have a whole 6 tons through her now,lol
  10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Arnie actually called me today (saturday morning..thought that was cool) to check on my inquiry after i read your post about the dual electric...looks like i will be getting one. did you get the flip up chute, was the vibrator extra? i didn't see it listed on the salter
  11. Brian Young

On my Downeaster all you need to do if you want the shoot off is remove 4 bolts and the spinner and shoot assembly come off together. The vibe. is standard I believe. If you get one and need some quick help with the wiring pm me. Now that Ive done one its pretty easy to do.
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a new model this year? Sounds like a pretty nice unit.
  13. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Glad to see the unit we got you is working out well for you. Let me know if you think you may be interested in another unit down the road for your 06.All of the downeaster units that we have sold are doing very well. I love the stainless unit in my truck!
  14. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

If anyone is in the market for one of the poly units give me a call or pm. They are priced very well.