1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

downeaster or Smith electric V Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike9497, Dec 18, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

any one know how much the 8FT 1.0 to 2.0 yard electrics go for??? does anyone know of dealers for them in connecticut???

Last edited: Dec 18, 2002
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im looking for a 6.5 ft or 7 ft electric v box too,1-1.5 yds would be plenty. They seem to be rare in short versions.

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

southford truck equipers is the guys i think im pretty sure

Jay

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

The company will sell direct to you, I called about 2 months ago, asking if I could buy direct, no problem.

I decided to by a Highway brand spreader instead.

Rick

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Southford sells Ice-O-Way. None are electric. Faitfield Plows or Burquip (NY) sell Downeaster and Smith respectively.

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mike

Collinsville Power Eq. in Farmington sells Downeaster. Hartford Truck Eq. sells Smith brand. I have had excelant service from both companys.

Gene

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Ditto what Gene said. I just bought a Smith from Hartford Equipment last week. the smiths are bullet proof and very easy to maintain. I have have my older unit for 5 seasons and not one problem so far.
    Johnny D, CALL MEEEEEEEE
    860-608-1842

8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

welli got a price from hartford truck for the 1.5 yard electric downeaster for 2988.00 and a 2.5 left over from last year for 2500.00.i feel for my truck its going to be to big.its a f250 LD.i think im better off with the 1.5 what do you guys think????

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The unit itself may be big but you don't have to fill it to capacity.You will be saving $488 and be getting a bigger unit ,who know maybe you will find a bigger chassis to put it on .

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Is either of the downeasters stainless? If not dont bother to buy them. get the smith electric stainless for just anotehr 600.00. In 5 yrs you will thank me. Also the State of CT DMV was wacking p/u and one ton dumps last storm with overweight fines. Seems we are in a fiscal crisis, and this the way to combat the deficiat. Anyway, the smith electric stainless is 200-250# lighter than the downeaster, so that will ley you carry more material as well.
    Dino

11. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

don`t get me started on the state of CT.i use to be a truck driver.now i do landscaping and im sure u know why dino.i have an old ford LA8000 dump and i don`t use it anymore and once again im sure you know why.