1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downeaster motor not strong enough

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have an ss 1.5yd elec spreader with a single motor. If I load before a storm and don't salt till the end, the motor isn't strong enough to get going. I will have manually turn the spinner backwards for a minute or two to free it to work. Its getting old. It happens with sand mix or straight salt. It happens with or without the inverted vee installed. If I load and salt right away, I'm fine. Should I consider a larger motor, or perhaps a reversing motor so I can stay in the truck. I keep forgetting to call Downeaster during bus. hours.
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Try adding a vibrator maybe? I had the same issue with a year old DE stainless electric unit years ago. It was a bigger model, but still, if I plowed for 5-6-7 hrs and went to salt it wouldn't work well. I'd either have to open the chute all the way and start it up, or turn the shaft into the gearbox with a monkey wrench.
  3. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

I would lube all grease fittings and chain lube the chains while you have it turning. If that doesnt free up some of the friction and let her moves material, throw a bigger hp motor on her. Dont worry the motor is within budget. See you tmr Ed.
  4. spaceman12321

spaceman12321 Junior Member
    from midwest

Its not necessarily the strength of the motor, I have the same problem on a gas powered Vbox if I let it sit to long. As stated, it will start to freeze up if sitting too long, also it can compact from being bounced around.

You might try running it for a few seconds periodically to keep it from compacting and freezing on the bottom or salt some of what you have already plowed periodically as you are working, sometimes that can buy you some time but I dont leave it in the v-box very long, generally I dont load salt until I am ready for it.