1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DownEaster/Honda electric starter problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blam133, Jan 27, 2006.

1. blam133

blam133 Junior Member

We have 2 DownEaster sanders with Honda GVX340 11 h.p. electric start engines. In the beginning of winter, they would not start from the control box in the cab. I replaced the retifiers on both and still would not start. The solenoids were not "clicking" so I replaced both of them. I have power to both starters but something is fishy. They still do not start. I am 99% sure I wired them the way they came apart...but I could be wrong. Has anyone had to replaced these or am I barking up the wrong tree? I cant see whatelse could be causing them to not start short of both needing new starters. If anyone has a wiring diagram or photo of the wiring connections...they woul be great. I guess I could go to the dealer and look at a "functioning" sander but time has run out for today. Thanks....:confused:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had the same problem with the same motor. Come to find out, I wasn't following the proper starting procedure.

If they are turning over:

Make sure the fuel shut off switch is open.

Push the speed control up so the choke light is on. Start turning it over in short bursts - no more than a couple seconds. While turning over, push the speed control down. If it doesn't start - choke again and repeat.

I went the whole first winter before I figured out what I was doing wrong. Kept using starting fluid. The worst thing was, all I'd had to do was read the manual that came with it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

Seems to me that you don't have the power to the solenoids correctly. if there not clicking then either the main power or the trigger is not supplying power.

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Due you have a good ground?