1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Downeaster dump insert and Tailgate replacement spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 4evergreenlawns, Nov 28, 2004.

1. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

When I ordered my 05 F-350 PSD I knew I needed dual Alts. because I wanted to run an all electric set up. My other trucks are a combo of Hyd. and Elec/Hyd.

After looking a few different products I went with a Downeaster ALL ELECTRIC dump insert and tailgate spreader and a Blizzard 810 plow.

My first use was AWESOME. Great spread, great feed, lift and shift load with ease, and clean up was quick and better than with the V box or the Vee Pro.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  2. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Looking for new spreader

Do you have any pix of your set up?? Looking to get rid of my p/o/crap vpro and get something real. I also have to increase my capacity due to additional accts this year. I need about 3.5 -4 yards to get through my route, and usually can't refill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really like the electric idea as long as it seems to hold up. Thanks again and be safe..Jack

3. 4evergreenlawns

1) Yes, the VeePro is a real P.O.S. I owned one so I can say it.

2) I do have some pics but already posted them on a different thread and this site WILL NOT let me post the same pic twice.

3) To date this unit has been GREAT. The few jams/cloggs I have had were cleared easy and in seconds right at the feed gate. Other than that the unit works without fail. The dump insert has raised and lowered without any strain.

4) If you are talking about getting 3.5-4 yards of salt in a SRW P/U truck I think you might have a issue. My 05 F-350 is rated for 11,100 GVWR and a payload of 4,800lbs. with a rear GAWR of 6,500lbs. I added an additional spring to the Aux spring giving me an additional between 800-1200lbs in payload.

The dump insert w/spreader goes about 800lbs. and I am loading about 3 yards of salt. At and average weight of 1,800 per yard I think I am right at capicity. Add the fact that my accounts are within 5 miles of my yard I get the load off quick. If you want to get 3.5 to 4 yard loaded I think you will need to look at something larger than a 3/4ton pick up. I can tell you I am loading about 5 yard in my 03 F-450 DRW 9' dump with spring work on the main pack and AUX on both sides.

Cimg0343a.jpg

Cimg0344a.jpg

Cimg0345a.jpg

Cimg0346a.jpg

Cimg0347a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  4. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

I would also like to see pics of the setup

5. 4evergreenlawns

Just a few more pics...

Cimg0348a.jpg

Cimg0412.jpg

6. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

4evergreenlawns - that is an awesome setup. Looks very good. Sorry i didnt see your pictures posted in previous post, but the last 2 gave me a good overall. Right now i am looking for an insertable dumb box that can be taken in and out fairly easily for a regular pickup box. Any good links other than truckcraft? Thanks

7. 4evergreenlawns

No sure what kind of P/U you have but the unit I have used the four of the six OEM bed mounting bolts. then is would just be a matter of you having something to lift it out. But I have all intention on using this year round so I never gave taking it once installt much thought.

8. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

That's a nice setup 4. What kinda money does something like that go for? I saw on their web site that they7 make that set up for a short-bed also. I would maybe go for something like that!!
    Know anyone looking for a slightly used VPro??? :realmad:

9. 4evergreenlawns

All total what you see including freight was $5,300.00. Well worth every penny. I should have paid the $500.00 for the SS dump as well. Next time.

10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Very Nice Ron!

11. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

4evergreenlawns can we see some more pics. I looking at a truck just like that.

12. 4evergreenlawns

loaded pics.

First there was one, and now here is two......payup payup payup

000_0344.JPG

twins 2.jpg

13. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Hey Ron what does that hold ? looks like about a 1/2 a ton do you wash it out ever?

14. 4evergreenlawns

You are killing me here :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

If I tell will it be consider bragging???

15. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

well one of my vpro 8000 holds over 1.5 tons and i know that holds more than that so i think you a little off on the 1/2 ton guess. i would be curious to no how much they do hold to justify cost over ez dump or standard gas vbox . well lets hear it...........

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

My guess is around 2 tons of salt is about all the truck will handle. Am I even close?

Regards Mike

17. 4evergreenlawns

I load three FULL one yard buckets. With one yard averaging out to be 1 ton give or take of course so I use 3 tons as a number. EX Dump is exact same size. Lets not forget I added on spring to the AUX. on each side and run Timbrens all frotn and rear. Also running the 18" tires in Load Range E. The truck handles it just fine considering it is a PSD and Tow/Haul is a must. You can see the load raised without a problem.

raised.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  18. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I put just over 2.8 tons (mounded) in my dump insert and it lifted without a problem. from the looks of that you are just under 2.5 tons.
    Looks like a great setup.

19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Wow, thats awesome. I'd love a set up like that. In the spring I'm pretty sure im getting an 04 f250 ext cab, short box. Hopefully I can set it up with something like that, I've always wanted a dump insert. I almost bought one in 05 but by the time they had one in stock, I already spent the money on something else, opps.

20. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

4EVERGREENLAWNS...... CANT WATE TO SEE MORE PICTURES.........DO YOU DO LANDSCAPING AND LAWNMOWING? wHAT KIND OF EQUIPMENT YOU RUN N THE SUMMER? KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND REAL NICE TRUCK YOU HAVE AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEING MORE PICTURES...