1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down to 2 choices...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by butters, Nov 17, 2004.

1. butters

butters Member

I am still holding out hope that I can find a decent used plow, but in the event I don't in the next 2 weeks I will be buying a new plow. (snow will be here very soon) I have it narrowed down to 2 choices based on the quality of the equipment and the dealers in my area. I have a 1989 Chevy 1/2 ton, automatic, shortbed and I will be plowing an 1100' private road next to a large field and my 400'+ driveway, both all gravel. We average ~150" of snow per year.
    My choices:
    1. Blizzard 760LT Complete and installed for ~$2700
    2. Western Poly Standard (or steel not decided yet) 7'6" with Ultra Mount for ~$3800-$4000 dependoing on steel or poly.

I have looked at Sno-Way and was not impressed and other brands/dealers aren't as accessible to me.

The Blizzard is much less expensive and the lighter of the two although my Western dealer says that my truck can handle the extra weight of the Western. I really liked the look and operation of the Ultra Mount, but I wonder if $1100 is too much extra to pay for this setup.

Like I said this will not be used for commercial purposes. I do plan on keeping the plow for a very long time and my truck is not driven very often (maybe one every week or two, except when I will be plowing). Anyway, if anyone can help me with this decision and give me some pros and cons of each setup I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think either one would make a nice plow for you. Your truck could handle either. If I were you and if you truly are not going to plow commercially, I'd get the Blizzard. Simply because it's less money. Then buy your kids/wife/girlfriend (not all three) extra Christmas presents.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Perfict answer Mick

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I would go with the western if it was for commercial purposes. but like mick said, just go with the blizzard and keep the extra money.

5. butters

butters Member

Thanks for the info. I think I am going with the Blizzard, but I have a question about the mount. I am new to this and the Blizzard mount doesn't look like the other manufacturers. I do not see a chain or anything like that that holds the plow up. Is this something to worry about or just another design? Also, will I have a problem with snow sticking to the plow? A few dealers are trying to push poly plows and claim that the snow will "just roll off" the poly blade. I didn't think this was that big of an issue, but I don't really know. Thanks again.

6. Mick

from Maine

I can't answer to the Blizzard design as I don't own one, someone else can help you better. As far as the snow rolling off a poly better than steel - hogwash. I've used steel for four years (and one of them I got used so it's likely eight years old). No matter which you have - just keep it "waxed" and the snow will slide right off. Sand and touch up any rust spots on the steel each Spring and check for new spots every Fall.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BUTTERS...........How big of a blade are you looking at?.......

Remember: If your buy used..... Be aware of exactly what kind of truck it came off from. Difference in the push bar, wiring prices, etc. Those parts can be $pendy as I found out !....

Thats a heck of a deal on that Blizzard if its installed !

I can say I love Western Plows...Last long, Work hard, only minor problems.
    But next plow will be a Blizzard w/ those wings!.................geo :drinkup:

8. butters

butters Member

The plow is a Blizzard 760LT (7'6"). I doubt I will be buying used since getting the right combo is harder to find plus installation adds up to close to new and I need one within a couple of weeks. It is a good deal on the Blizzard. Two area dealers are offering that same price. I think the fact that Blizzards are manufactured in Michigan has a lot to do with the cost being so low. (less freight)

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Butters,
    I picked up the Blizzard 760LT a couple weeks ago. The lifting mechanism is different but I really like how it works. Personally I don't care for the chain in front of my truck...just personal preference. Someone had reminded me the chain was nice in case if you have a breakdown, you can push the plow up into a pile and "short chain it", and that couldn't be done with the Blizzard...well you can do the same with the Blizzard. It comes with an extra pin and once the plow is pushed up on the pile you run the pin thru a set of holes below the "A" frame. Good luck with the decision, both are good plows.

Buck

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Mick what type of wax do you put on your plow?

11. Mick

from Maine

I answered your PM. For anyone who wonders - any good car wax, applied annually.