Snow Plowing Forum banner

Down speed of blade, quill adjustment

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jmal6809 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have an ultra mount and need to slow the drop speed. I cannot get the quill to turn, its not all rusted, thought it would turn pretty easy, but this one is froze right up. have any of you found a good way to unseized it?

#2 ·
There is no "easy" solution for a seized quill screw. Each is unique in it's resolution. On the old style three plug units the screw sticks out a bit so sometimes you can put a vice grip on it and work it loose but on the newer MVP+ ultras the screw is hard to get at and doesn't stick out at all. Either way, if it's badly seized you will have to use heat and some sort of extractor. It's a tough extraction because the quill is pretty hard steel but the housing is soft aluminum. The hard part is getting a hole drilled in the center of the quill screw to insert an extractor. Once it is drilled in about a half inch you can put a bit of heat to it. This will break the bond between the steel and aluminum after which you can use and extractor to thread it out and replace it. If and when you get it out put a bit of anti seize on the threads before putting the new one in.

#5 ·
If you try and drill it out you may end up buying a manifold for it. As I remember correctly there is a thread and an O ring boss you do not want to mess up. I have extracted a few broken motor bolts, broken solenoid/valve cover bolts and siezed quill and cross over relief adjustment screws as well. I never use a drill to extract anything. First the manifold needs to be stripped down completely. I mean everything. Use the western/fisher library for a schematic. Anyway, if the bolts are broken, even below the surface I build up weld with my TIG welder and then weld a nut to it. It does take me a few tries and I go through a few nuts but it is still worth not buying a new manifold. Neversieze is your friend when putting it back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.