1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by eman5oh, Dec 29, 2009.

1. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

For those that have plowed with a regular plow and a sno way with down pressure, does the sno way clean any better? I would seem to me that they would be about even. Sno way weighs 400 or so pounds and has 250 pounds down pressure = same as a 700lb plow?

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

My 7.5 MT scrapes far better than the Western 7'2" LSX plow I previously had on my Dakota as for back dragging the Snoway is hands down better.

3. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

My Snow way 26 (only 3 months old) is only 50# lighter than the Blizzard 760LT that I used to have. The Blizzard did a much better job back dragging. I miss my Blizzard.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused:No Down Pressure?

5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

You will not find a better blade for backdragging (dp).

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

DP is the greatest invention ever for backdragging.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have not used a dp system. I am a Western man. From what I unerstand about the system it takes the weight and redistributes on the blad rather than all on the axles, thus the weight of the blade should not make that much of a difference.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

DP forces the blade to maintain consistent pressure relieving front suspension load and inhibiting the ski effect common with other brands of snowplows in particular the chain hoist systems.

He's been to Erie:cool:

9. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

Yes I have DP. The mass of the Blizzard seemed to do better. My opinion/experience.

10. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

The DP works great, even on my little plows. My MT scrapes as well as the full size Boss blade that my neigbor uses and is 200lbs less, and has a poly blade. With my 29HDW, one of the things that I have found it does better than others is that it tracks uneven paving better in the big lots. Where the weight of the cars has caused the pavement to sink in, making it like a washboard when you drive across it. My Snoway scrapes better at a little higher speed because the blade doesn't skip acrosst the tops of the washboard ridges, it gets pushed down into them.

11. yamahartx

yamahartx Junior Member
    from Iowa

New to plows, but I do know I just bd some concrete without dp and didnt see pavement Second pass next too it with dp, almost 100 cleared. Went back over the first pass, took it right off.wesport

I dont think its about the weight, with this plow the dp lifts the front of my truck slightly and puts it too the blade. So although it weights 700lbs total if its pushing down it will be superior over another 700lb blade.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

When I had my 9' SnoWay.........I thought it scrapped better than anybody else's plow.
    [​IMG]

13. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

My little 22 series Down Pressure Sno-Way scrapes better than my 8' MM1 Fisher ever did.
    Of couse the attack angle on the Fisher is stupidly mild... and the cutting edge on the 22 series is thin enough to shave with... so that helps.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

that's because it helps keep the weights down for more possable vehicle fits. There is an 3/8 wearedge available as a replacement part.