1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Mad Max 4x4, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Mad Max 4x4

Mad Max 4x4 Member

My Plow Seems To Work Better When I Drop The Blade, Hit The Down Pressure Button On, Plow, Stop, Hit The Down Pressure Button Off, Then Raise The Plow. Will This Hurt Anything? The Reason I Do This Is The Plow Doesn't Jerk As Much When Lifting Like It Has Some Play In The Linkage. If I Don't Use The Down Pressure At All It Drops And Lifts Smoothly.Could There Be Something Wrong? Thanks Guys,Mad Max 4x4
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

DP normally does not effect the smoothness the lift action.
  3. larry newman

larry newman Member

Mine's the same either way.
  4. 1pfieffer1

1pfieffer1 Junior Member

Ditto........works same either way.........
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Air in the system maybe?
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What you wrote sounds like normal operation to me.

If you have the DP system active and go to lift the blade, the default is for the DP to go off so the blade can lift. This is probably the jerk feeling that you describe.

If you turn it off prior to lifting you are in essence doing the same thing but doing it in two steps rather than one. The way you are doing it allows the blade to fall in the gravity rather than the DP mode on the next pass though which is easier on your system IMO.