1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down pressure

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Joel B., Nov 24, 2008.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I thought I've read somewhere that down pressure adds around 250 pounds of force. Is that an actual measured value from Sno-Way, or someone's best guess? I don't see an actual value on the website.

Thank you.
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

250 psi is a fair # but it will vary from truck to truck as they all sit at different heights. The new MegaBlade series actually produces 400 psi of hydraulic down force.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It won't pick the tires off the ground but it will take the weight off the front suspension on my truck.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Down Pressure is controlled by a pressure switch. Depending on the Snoway model down pressure's hydraulic minimum is either 325psi and 525psi. the reliefs limits are approximately 100-150 psi above that. In some spikes 700 psi Hydraulic can be reached.

Mechanical advantages adds additional force to the hydraulics As Tom said, actually wear edge force varies, the heavier the vehicle the higher the wear edge loads.