1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down pressure?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 68dodgeramman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 68dodgeramman

68dodgeramman Junior Member

I am thinking about putting a plow on my truck but would like to research everything before I buy. Are there any other plows that offer down pressure on their blades other than Sno-Way? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sno-Way owns a patent on our hydrualic down pressure system. Currently we are the only manufacturer that has this option on our snowplow.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Not really sure you need downward pressure. Just get a bottom trip plow like a Fisher. They scrape down to pavement without an issue. With downward force seems like you could do some real damage with it. Dig up pot holes and really do a job on a burm

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Down pressure just makes a 500lbs. plow act like a 750lbs plow when pushing. It is a great help when backdragging......

5. 68dodgeramman

Tom -
    It's been a while since I have used a plow on my truck. But I remember the old plows with the chain lift. The thing I hated the most was when you would push snow up a bank and then back away from the pile. With that slack in the chain 'BANG' down she'd come! It'd feel like the truck was gonna flip over. How does the Sno-Way handle that? Also I posted elsewhere on the forums to ask what deals if any did Plows Unlimited have on the 7' 6" 29 Series Stainless Steel plow?

BigDave12768 and dmontgomery thanks for your replies and input. I still like the idea of having some down pressure though.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No chain to go slack. Snoways stack higher and run quieter then most plows. The lack of chain also means the blade won't ski the pile and end up hung in the snow.

The plow unlimited Factory blow-out is on ST and MT only.

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

down pressure

the plow on my 1 ton uses hydraulic compressor instead of a pump outside and gives alot of down pressure from it. works great but sometimes is too fast and shakes the truck.

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I thought you could apply down pressure with Boss straight blades.

9. dmontgomery

don't they just lock in place???

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I asked a good friend who has run Boss straight blades and he confirmed they can apply down pressure as well as float. The Boss V blades will not apply down pressure. So Snow Way is not the only Mfg. to offer the down pressure option.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  11. dmontgomery

I don't want to start a fight but this has been discussed / argued many many times here in the past...

Do a search on BOSS and down pressure..... you will find numerous threads recanting your down pressure statement. Also there is no hint of it on the BOSS website.

My Snoway will apply DP while floating......essentially acting as a much heavier plow, following the contours...........

D

I.A.F.F. 2981 here....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  12. toby4492

Sno-Way is the only manfacturer that offers and manufactures the down pressure option. We own a patent on our design. If your friends Boss plow is doing this it is only due to the fact that he set it up to do so.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Boss, Blizzard and Hinker all have the design potentail for DP. i understand Jerre up in Erie has stroked a few blizzards. the hinker c plow has a effective DP in back drag position, but Boss does not offer dp as a factory option.

14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I will have to do some more checking on his Boss plow, I do not know that his Boss was ever modified in any way. Toby I understand what you are saying that SW has a patent on your particular system but that in no way assures or even implies that nobody else can have down pressure. The other Mfg's. just design a different way to accomplish the down pressure. I am in no way trying to discredit SW, their products, or you guys that sell them. It just raises a HUGE red flag when someone especially a sales person says something to the effect of "exclusive, patented, or can't be done, ours is the only one...".

15. toby4492

What I am saying here is that no other company manufactures or promotes a hydraulic down pressure option other than Sno-Way. I am aware of users and dealers with other brands of plows that are tweaking their systems to gain down pressure. However these systems are different and will put more stress on equipment vs. our system. I'm not just a salesperson I have also plowed for 15+ years, and did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Toby thanks for the clarification, I obviously misunderstood what you said. I did not get a chance to look at the said Boss plow today. But I did go to one of the largest plow dealers in the area. They carry SW, Western, Fisher, Meyer, Blizzard, as well as a few others, but not Boss. In fact the sales person there was doing quite a job bad mouthing Boss. He also said he didn't know of any other plow that has actual down pressure except SW. He did mention there are other ways to imitate down pressure like smart lock cyls., and lock out pins etc. I did take a good long look at the plows on display and saw that SW is the only Co. with a double acting lift cyl. Which leads me to think if my friend is correct then he obviously has a modified plow.
    I hope you slept well at the Holiday Inn.:drinkup:

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss plows (with smart hitch) can be "modified" for the addition of down pressure....it's all in the wiring. They already have the double acting lift cylinder.

18. 68dodgeramman

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, Sno-Way is the only manufacturer that offers the down pressure option on their plows. But the Boss and the Blizzard can probably be modified to get the down pressure. Thanks for all the replies by the way.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your 100% correct.

20. toby4492

Other manufacturers plows can be modified for down pressure, however as mentioned doing so will provide additional stress to their structures. Modifying their systems will apply constant pressure with no relief in the system. Our system is reactive to situations that it is put in. If you are going up the incline of a speed bump as an example our system will sense an increase in pressure and allow oil to go back to tank. Once the blade has reached the top and begins to go down our system will sense a loss in pressure and pulse oil back into the cylinder.