1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

Is there a down pressure valve or screw for a boss straight 8ft smart hitch 2?. I have looked at the manual on line but have found nothing. I know where or how to adjust the down speed but I see nothing for down pressure. Just wondering.
  2. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

boss plows do not have down pressure

JUSTBE Member

Thanks for asking the question. I had the question about my Boss plow.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not familiar with Boss, but if the lift cylinder is set up so it can actively have downpressure, couldn't the pump and piston be modified to run like a snoway? Maybe swapping a snoway pump and lines in on the plow unit?? Too much work?
  5. I don't want to threadjack, but does anyone know how much force (in lbs) the sno-way plows put down with downpressure? Someone asked me that about mine and I had no idea. Thanks for any help!
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

To have downpressure we would need a dual-acting lift cylinder and different valving and controls, very very pricey equipment. Not worth it IMO.
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

BOSS does not make down pressure systems.
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

All you would need to do is wire in a way to actuate the Smart Hitch mounting switch.

The newer BOSS's DO have a dual acting lift cylinder.

So....Is it possible? ......Yes

Is it practical? .....Probably not.
  9. derekbroerse

"All you would need to do is wire in a way to actuate the Smart Hitch mounting switch.

The newer BOSS's DO have a dual acting lift cylinder."

Interesting point. Not having a newer one I hadn't thought of that. Mine is single acting. Truth is, my plow is so damn heavy that I've only wanted/needed downpressure maybe 2-3 times I can think of...

If all the right pieces are already there for downpressure (as built into SH2) then why doesn't BOSS include downpressure? :confused: I suspect people could do a lot of damage with it. When a plow floats it follows the contours. With downpressure, it will want to make it's own contours.... Having never seen a snoway setup, I am curious how they control it--is it a separate switch down past 'float'?
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I believe snoway has it pateneted? IIRC......
  11. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure ratlover is correct about the patent rights. I believe the DP. is 200 PSI. The DP has built in sensors that disengage when you encounter unseen obstacles. I have a 9 ft. snoway with DP and WR, on an isuzu npr hd diesel. 14500# gvw. It really is a nice system, i have used both fisher and curtis in the past. I plan to put a 7.5 on my tahoe next winter. Plow on :salute:
  12. derekbroerse

Maybe, but can they really patent 'down pressure' in general? Machinery has used down pressure for decades (think tractors, graders, dozers, etc) and they can be used for snow removal too.

Wouldn't they only be able to patent their own specific process of creating down pressure?

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

On my plow, the pump does not stay on continuously. It cycles on and off, probably, because it builds up pressure, and then it slowly leaks off, and then it builds it up again. The downpressure is operated by a switch, and it only works when the plow is in the float (down) mode. If you leave the switch on and have the plow raised, and then drop it, it drops faster than it would with the dp disengaged. Can't say how much pressure it adds in lbs. I've thought about trying to weigh it before, but haven't done it.
  14. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I like the way the down pressure system cuts through hard packed snow. With the new lighter weight plows, poly and lexan blades, it is a must for efficient back dragging :nod: My customers are mostly driveways, small parking lots, and my lighter plow (Snoway) on a smaller truck (Nissan v6 manual trans.) cuts operating expenses by far over my heavy (Meyer) on my larger truck (Suburban v8 auto trans) payup
  15. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Even thought everyone says boss doesn't have down pressure I saw it with my own eyes. I played with a guys truck that had a 8' straight blade with the mounting system where you hit a switch. I lifted the plow and the truck barley squatted. Hit the down button and the plow went down truck just like it was before I lifted it. hit the down button again and the plow pushed itself down a little more and the front of the truck lifted a little.
  16. The Boss

When the plow drops all the way down, the truck will raise up a little due too the weight of the plow being released. Boss DOES NOT have down pressure.
  17. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

If my plow doesn't scrap close enough when backdragging, I just push forward first to get closer to the pavement, then drop the blade before the pile and backdrag normally, always seems to do the trick.
  18. The Boss

I do the same thing, it works great!
  19. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

just buy a backdrag blade and sandwich it between the cutting edge, or fab one out of angle iron or similar, works great and is quick to make.....

My buddy has a rubber? cutting edge and it scrapes backwards great, he claims it wears same as steel.....