1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

down pressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dbc45420, Sep 22, 2003.

1. dbc45420

dbc45420 Junior Member

I am deciding on what type of plow I will need. And wondering how important is it going to be to get one w/ down pressure. Doing residential drives and back dragging. Any advise is appreciated.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on the weight of the plow. Also design. I use Fisher plows which are heavy. For backdragging, I generally keep it out of "float" mode and they do real good. I think you can get an attachment for a Western to aid with backdragging. Now, if you've got a light weight plow, down pressure is going to be more important as it will have more of a tendency to ride up on the snow.

3. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

The only plow I know of that has down pressure is Snoway! There might be other that have it, but I have not heard of any.

As to the benifits of down pressure.

Works good for back dragging for a few feet then the snow builds up and creates a more compact pile that the blade floats over, in my opinion! Especialy in the wet stuff. I prefer a drag plow for this reason.

However - down pressure for regular plowing works really well. You can get down to pavement in all types of conditions. Down pressure plows will out perform all other plows in wet conditions for sure.

Chuck B.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Snoway is awesome for backdragging.It will drag out as much snow as you want without lifting.It can be used for scraping too.The downpressure has a relief so you can't damage anything.

You could still plow without downpressure,but for residential drives with a lot of backdragging,I would go Snoway.

5. dbc45420

dbc45420 Junior Member

Thanks for the info and now i just need to find a used plow. Going with the snow-way.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think there were a few in the used equipment forum.