1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

down pressure to plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kirby ent, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Is there any way of addind down pressure to an existing plow? We do a lot of residintial where it would be ideal to drive in and drop the plow, and drag the snow back out on to the street.
    Thanks Mike

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Down presure is not really the thing most times. at some point there will just be to much snow build up underneath the plow as you pull back. thats why rear drag plows are great.

On a side not, We don't do residential, but anyone run into problems with putting snow on the raod from your local by-laws?

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

we do a few residential, and I have never had a problem with the city, but we dont usually leave it in the street, I pull it back to the street, then I take it and pile it on the corner of the drive way. I dont think its such a big deal if the streets havent been plowed yet. We did get a call from the city once, but thats casue we pushed all the snow from a lot off into a emty lot ontop of a sorm drain, so we had to move that, but we dident know it was there, so they where nice to us.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Most states (Maine included) and some towns prohibit pushing snow into or across the street. That makes it illegal whether you clean it up or not. Yes, it's a big deal whether the street has been plowed or not. The extra snow will affect the steering of a car traveling over it before it's pushed. The extra snow will affect the handling of the street plow. It can also cause existing snow to be compacted and stick to the roadway causing a slick spot. Likewise, the lack of snow in spots can affect steering and cause slick spots.

All snow is to remain on the property on which it fell, unless trucked off to a dump site.

I'm always aware, too, to avoid pushing snow to the entrances of driveways which could interfere with a driver's line of sight of traffic. A person turning into the parking lot also may not see a car waiting to leave. Too many times I see cars that have to pull forward from parking lots so far, the car's front end is in the travel lane before the driver can see what's coming.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on the type of plow, Jerre could answer better. Blizzards yes, others not so sure about.

I would look into a 'pull' plow or back plow. It will increase your productivity greatly on residentials over down pressure\back dragging.

Like Mick said, most places it is illegal to dump or leave the snow in the road.

6. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

In our area the towns won't bother you too bad. I on the other hand hate it when someone plows across the road and doesn't clean up their mess. Last winter I think I cleaned up after 3 or 4 on different occasions.......their mess ended up back in the end of their driveway :D

7. Mick

from Maine

My neighbor's plow guy used to push his snow across into my ditch. The problem was that it obstructed my view of oncoming traffic. I couldn't seem to get them to understand, so one time I pushed my driveway across to his ditch. I gave them a demonstration on how to stack snow. Problem solved. His snow stays on his side and he uses his little tractor and loader to keep his pile down.

(Disclaimer) That is not a tactic I'd recommend to others.

8. Scott R

Scott R Member

Down pressure

I know the Sno-Way plows offer DP, most others do not, you need a double acting lift cylinder to do this. If you run a full hyd. system ( pump, tank, valves, etc.) separately this is real easy to do. if however you have a integral system like a western, Myers, etc, where the pump. tank and valving are all in the same unit, your out of luck. One other note on this, if you do have a separate system and decide to add a double acting cylinder, you will need to add a direct linkage system, and get rid of the chain that most use. I know that is obvious, the drawback of this is the blade can no longer float as well when plowing normally. The fluid in the cylinder will not move in and out ( top to bottom) as fast as the chain set up you likely have now. It does work, like on loaders, dozers, etc. but just not as fast, even worse when it's real cold.

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Thats basically what I hear people say here. I had once been stop by the by-law enforcement when I was plowing, but he thought I plow a driveway I hadn't. so handed me some paper information, and left.

Yeah entrances are the places I avoid putting snow. and we tell our guys to also. I'd rather have them push it all into the lot and spend a couple more minutes moving it to a smarter place

10. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Very well said Mick
    Letaaaaaaaar snow:waving:

11. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

When I do back drag the snow to the street, I always make sure I clean it up, and when I earlier said I pile it on the corners of the drive, I knew that would stir something up. Usually we dont get enough snow in a winter to make a pile big enough not to see over, but in last years case we did. If i put snow on a corner, I always make sure it isnt going to bloke the view of drivers, alrighty!

12. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

what are they going to do arrest you? i dont think so. we do it all the time.

13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm, almost sure that it's a fine sent to the owner of the address. if they don't catch you doing it. atleast for Toronto. If they catch you doing it, it's fined to you directly.

14. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I know for a fact, that In Michigan, it is a 1000.00 fine for the first offense. At least in Mecosta county. I Used to sub for a guy, who got caught plowing across the road, and that is what he got for his thoughts!

15. Mick

from Maine

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

People rob banks all the time, doesn't make it legal. People drive drunk all the time, doesn't make that legal. I speed all the time, and sooner or later I will get another ticket for breaking the law.

Maybe it is legal in MN, but obviously it isn't in most other places.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Nope, It's illegal here too..

It is a Petty misdemeanor, meaning their is NO jail time for this offense. Just a fine.
    So, no they can't arrest you for it....

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

For you folks in MN with hide-away-strobes.
    right from the MN traffic code.

169.65 specifications for lighting and other devices.
    No person shall sell for use or use on any vehicle any RECONVERTED lamp or any device redesigned for a use other than for which it was originally approved unless authorized by the commissioner of public safety.

You can not put them in your head lights blinkers or Tail lights.

169.64 prohibited lights: exceptions

Subd. 1. Bright lights.
    Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than a head lamp, a spot lamp,or any auxiliary driving lamp, which projects a beam of light of the intensity greater than 300-candle power, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the road way on witch the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
    So you do not blind others with your lights

Subd. 3.colored lights
    unless authorizes by the comminiser of public safety.
    NO vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any road or highway with any lamp or device displaying a red or ANY COLORED light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.

subd. 4. blue lights.
    Blue lights are PROHIBITED on all vehicles EXCEPT road maintenance equipment operated by or under contract to the state.

Subd. 6. flashing AMBER light on service vehicle, snow removal equipment.

Any service vehicle or self-propeled unit of farm equipment except a farm tractor MAY be equipped with a flashing AMBER lamp of a type approved by the commissioner of public safety.
    (1.) A service vehicle shall NOT display the lighted lamp when traveling upon the roadway or at any other time except at the scene of a disabled vehicle or while ENGAGED in snow removal or road maintenance.

was this a hy-jacking??? I thought this was about down psi???

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  19. Scott R

Scott R Member

I feel better now Sno Farmer, I kept my post to down pressure:D

I grew up in Duluth moving heavy wet sno from the lake, where about's are you located?

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol,,, Im in Duluth,:waving:
    Just waiting for some of that lake effect sno...

I want enough down pis to lift the front wheels off of the ground lol...
    That would scrape that ice right up