1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure Question

Discussion in 'SnowMan SnowPlows' started by Rob, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hello All,
    I have a question regarding the down pressure on the Snowman plows. My belief is that the downpressure on the commercial models is via hydraulics and has something along the lines of 1500 lbs. while the SUV / LDA models have downpressure provided by springs. Correct? So, what I am wondering is with the commercial models it seems that there cannot be a "float" type of position. Is that true? I would like to add a snowman to my residential truck but many of the drives are hilly so it seems like the downpressure models would require a lot of manipulation (up / down) as I move down the drive in order to keep constant contact with the pavement.
    Additionally, I'm wondering if the LDA models that use the springs for down pressure have the "float" type setting so I could drop both front and rear plows and just go.

Thanks for the comments !

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The LDA springs provide down pressure and a float at the same time. Float is the ability to raise or lower over objects without restriction. Springs and gravity provide down and pavement provides the up.

On the commercial models it is possible to achieve float by simply opening both valves without energizing the pump unit. Gravity only for the extra down unless you add springs also.

Jerre

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Jerre
    I'm thinking that for residential drives that have some uneven terrain etc. the LDA may be the way to go. It seems that the open values without pump on would be a work around kind of fix rather than standard operation.
    So a question for you would be, which would you think would work better for me? The LDA or the commercial model? Do the springs provide enough downpressure to scrape up the compacted snow from the wheels?

Thanks!

4. Jerre Heyer

Rob actually, I'd go with the LDA. I've run both and the advantages of it outweigh the full downpressure of the Straight blade. You can add more spring pressure to the LDA if you want but it still won't RIP up the hard pack but the Straight blade has problems doing that too.

Jerre

5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Jerre,
    My main concerns were
    1) Not having to play with the up / down etc. Just have a float like function so I can drop the plow and go.
    2) Having enough down pressure so that if I back into a drive, I can drop front and rear plows, pull out, and be done. If the rear plow doesn't have enough pressure to pull up what I just drove on when I backed in and then floated on top of the two tracks the whole way out of the drive, I potentially have a 1/2" or so across the entire drive as it can't get between the tire tracks. (Know what I mean?)
    3) Having so much down pressure that the plow rips up / damages pavement that has been poorly maintained. Sure the front plow can do that too but that's just gravity at work. I think that 1500lbs down pressure might be looking for trouble at some accounts.

Thanks for the info !

6. Jerre Heyer

Rob, it will pull up what you just backed over but won't pull hard pack up. Jerre

7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Great !
    Thanks Jerre