1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down pressure or back plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nick858, Jan 9, 2008.

1. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

We will be getting another plow next year. Im wondering whether the guys running Snoways with downpressure think they back drag very well? We dont have any very particular customers, but Id like to do better than just backdragging on float mode. We have Westerns and an 810 now, so a Snoway would be another different brand, which Im not concerned with. I hesitate to spend another 3500 on a back plow if the down pressure Snoways would do a sufficient job. Im not looking for bare pavement, just looking to do a little better than a normal backdrag. By the way, we dont have a backdrag edge either, so that could be a possibility too.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I can only speak for myself and my experience with SnoWay. I have never plowed with another brand, nor used a rear end plow (personally, I think they look difficult to maneuver and hang way too far off the back to be practical for me anyway) I like being able to pull up to a garage as close as I can and drop my SnoWay then push the "down pressure" button...the whole front end lifts as it does, then I ease backwards and voila...! Scraped beautifully!
    I can imagine trying to back drag in float and it would seem an excersize in futility at best. This is my opinion...My SnoWay is a great plow and the down pressure works as advertised....
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

look into a hiniker c plow they can peel up hardpacked snow when backdragging.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have 3 Sno-Ways and 1 Boss. The Sno-Way is far superior to any of the other plows I have ever used. I have had Western and Meyers too. The down pressure is great.
  5. lavelle_04

lavelle_04 Junior Member

does the sno way plows have "float" position or do you alwats have to use down pressure?:confused:
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You get to decide when you need to use it. We will operate just as any other gravity system and float until you activate the DP system. Even when you do the system is set up with pressure switches and reliefs to protect your equipment.
  7. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

The down pressure really does make a load of difference.

I had a Meyers plow, prior to getting my Sno-Way. Occasionally the Meyers would float while back dragging, leaving me to make another pass, when cleaning off the concrete loading dock at one of my customers sites.

I considered the Hiniker c-plow, but ultimately decided to go with the Sno-Way 29T (for less money) Excellent back dragging ability when needed and an 8 foot straight blade with trip edge.
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you put a back drag edge on your plow it would perform alot better than it does now. the down pressure definitely has an upper hand with back dragging. If the snow has been packed down though forget it.

To answer your original question. The back plow will remove snow better than any plow backdragging. Is it worth the money? That is for you to decide.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  9. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would assume the back plow would be superior to everything else, but...If I can do a decent job with downpressure, I wouldnt worry about spending another 3-4k for a back plow. I dont have that much use for it to justify a back plow and front. I havent tried a backdrag edge, but when we buy a new plow next year, I think Ill definitely consider the 8ft with downpressure, especially since its a trip edge.
  10. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

If not by the end of this yr by next yr I fully intend on having a back plow. Though the same thing... Do I really need one? After thinking about it I realize how much time I spend trying to turn around and back drag. I do a fare amount of drives and most of my com. lots have dead spaces or I need to stack in locations that require me cleaning out most of the lots.

I've been able to get by with just back dragging, and my customers are happy, but I know I would be able to pick up a few more act if I got a back plow just to save the time...

Just my $0.02
  11. barnold3784

barnold3784 Junior Member

Back Dragg Plow

Ive got a excellent condition snowman back drag plow up for sale if anyone is interested. I used it one year for a condominium complex and it works great. I have all the controls for it aswell. Looking for a price tag of around $1500. Im located in Southern NH Email Is Barnold3784@hotmail.com
  12. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You want to ship it to Iowa?

Also, how long has Snoway had down pressure, and if its as good as it sounds, why has nobody else incorporated it?
  13. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Thats a good question, i also noticed that hiniker don't use chains they have a scissors lift type, so do they have DP.
  14. toby4492

Down pressure was introduced in the early 90's. No other company produces a comparible system because we own a patent on this technology.

Several companies have gone away with chains and gone to a direct link for lift purposes. This is something that Sno-Way plows have had since their introduction to the market in 1979. Much easier on the front end of the vehicles when transporting the plow.
  15. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

even so patents do run out and other companys my use that technology.So maybe we will see other companys adpoting Sno-Way technology?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  16. toby4492

Only time will tell.
  17. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i make my own hinged backdrag edge thatwork great in loose or packed snow and the more you pull backwards, it digs deeper as you go. I have a westerns and 1 with hydraulics and down pressure and find the backdrag edge works better all the time and is alot cheaper.
  18. hydro_37

from iowa

Nick...where in Iowa are you? There are a few Sno-Way dealers in Iowa. If you can go see the blade work you will be impressed. If you are up north I will glady show you mine. I have a V and 2 straight Sno-Way plows.
  19. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Im in Eldora, about in the center. I make it up to Clear Lake quite a bit, if thats the direction you are. Most places in Iowa are only 3 hours max from me, and I would be willing to drive that far to see yours. Let me know where you are, and when I might be able to take a look.
  20. hydro_37

from iowa

Clear Lake is where I am.