1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure Idea

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tazzman15, Mar 24, 2010.

1. tazzman15

tazzman15 Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody has thought about taking a gas strut for like a rear trunk or door for down pressure. Maybe even one or two if they weren't strong enough. Yo can buy one for about 50 bucks.
  2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

some of the mfg are already way ahead of you on this.
    its is a good idea though. Reb from Wyoming has the CC DF kit on his quad for plowing and it has done OK for him from his post's.

I don't know of any members who have a home built kit or I'd point you in there direction.
    seems to me somebody this year mentioned they had a homemade set up but I dont recall the name or what thread that was in sorrry about that.

not knocking you or anything just showing you what is out there.

I run an electric actuator and get down pressure that way on my blade.
    it is not cheap by any means but I have ran it for 3 or 4 years now and not had any problems with the system.

sublime out.
  3. tazzman15

tazzman15 Member

Ya I was trying to cut the price some. Do you know if the CC will fit moose?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The strut would be just as effective as adding weight to your blade.
  5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

the top end will fit fine if you have your winch and roller fair lead in stock location. should not be a problem on that end. Should not be 2 hard to fab up the lower bracket on the Moose Plow

just my thoughts.
  6. tazzman15

tazzman15 Member

Ya. I guess I might have to try that. I had thought about trying a used car shock but then decided against it.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You're on the right track with finding a strut off a car. That's all the companies are doing. They can get them wholesale, throw in some hardware to make it work and sell them as a kit. They are pretty much the same exact thing as on a car. They do come in different lengths and weight requirements so make sure you measure before you go hunting. Go to a junk yard and look for a pair off a newer car. Preferably something off a car with a hatchback, chances are it will be heavier and the strut will be designed to take more weight then say a little trunk lid. Try to grab the hardware (balls they mount on) too, most are removable. You can probably get them for next to nothing. I intend on doing something over the summer for more DF on my Grizzly and will more then likely use something off a car. I also want to get a strap for raising and lowering the blade instead of a cable or rope. Something that will just roll back up on the spool and not get all knotted up.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

As has been stated CC has the system on the market and it really isn't that expensive, $100 last time I looked. Assuming you figure you time is worth anything it may be cheaper to just buy the system from CC. On one of my ATV's I use a coil over shock but it is a lot bigger, bulkier and more expensive than the CC system. And it took a lot of time to build the attachments.

I remember someone on here had adapted the CC system to their Moose plow. As I remember all it took was a U bolt on the plow frame. You might do a search on here, see if you can find it.