1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure going up...

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ddejonge, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ddejonge

ddejonge Junior Member

I have a 25 series w/down pressure that's about 5 years old. It has the toggle controller (not joystick) When I push the regular down button, the plow will nicely start to float down, but if I activate the down pressure toggle, the plow starts to go up. (main up/down switch is still in the down position) I checked all connections inside the controller as well as the power-pack. Could it be the down pressure solonoid valve starting to fail? With down pressure turned of, everything works fine. Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. ddejonge

ddejonge Junior Member

Thanks Basher,

I never saw the parts list manual, that's handy.
    It's an intermitten problem, and I'm not sure if outside temp. effect it. Yesterday it was not working but it was extremely cold, (-5), today has warmed all the way to 15 degrees and seems to be working fine. Would you suggest replacing the coil, the spool valve, or both?
    That's a 4 position spool, so it's hard to know what's going on inside.

Thanks again, DDJ

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd replace the fluid. Cold weather effecting it say's Frozen to me. Drain the fluid, flush with Meyer Hydra-flush, drain, then refill with a premium snowplow fluid. You could pull the valve and clean it. stick a little magnet down the hole to clean out any metal, then replace.

Let me know:waving:

5. ddejonge

ddejonge Junior Member

Sounds like a great idea. I'll try it. Thanks!
    DDJ

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you put just a capful od Isopropel Alcohol in the fluid it will keep it from freezing too.

7. ddejonge

ddejonge Junior Member

Thanks for the tip basher. Drained all fluid, cylinders etc. Cleaned out resevoir, filters, pulled valves and cleaned. Replace hoses while I was down there, tightened up the pivot bolt, Topped off with GOOD fluid this time, and it's like a brand new plow. All for less than 50 bucks, Awesome! Thanks again DDJ

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great! May the snow fall upon you:waving: