1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down Pressure Cylinder

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DRIFTER92, Jan 20, 2010.

1. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Basing all this on a 2009 9-2 VXT...

I was looking the other day and the cylinder for the BOSS seems simple for lift/float, my question is (if there are any hydrolic experts here).

If you found a cylinder to apply down force would it require a different pump?

Would it require electronic work if the pump wasn't changed?

Just curious it doesn't seem far fetched to me to have this mod. I don't see where it would cause the plow any trouble really after looking at how it is built unless i missed something.

What are your educated thoughts? I really don't see why BOSS doesn't market this as an addition like the smart locks, or will it be next years big deal? (typical marketing)

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Use the search feature and what you find my give you down pressure in your pants.

3. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Well aware of the search feature. Didn't find anything i was looking for, but then again maybe i posted this to start a conversation about it? Since it is a forum/message board and all. Why do that when you can make pointless smart ass remarks though right? Thanks for the educated conversation :D

4. newhere

from Fenton

Well you didn't look very hard because all your questions have been beatin to death. Even a new member like myself has read them over and over and over. No you don't need a new cylinder, no you don't need a diffrent pump, yes some wiring changes need to be made just search for the diagram and you will be all set buddie.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That would be due to a pre-existing patent long held by Snoway. Once that is exhausted they'll all be on the DP bandwagon.

6. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Well if I had knowledge of it i would have posted a link to the discussion and let it drop off the first page, but thats just me i don't mind helping people out who are ignorant to the topic. My apologies for beating it to death. I usually don't visit this board so i must have missed it. But hey at least you got to vent a bit huh? I did my good deed for the day :drinkup:

7. newhere

from Fenton

Shhh calm down its ok, you don't have to get all upset. Was it the comment about the down pressure in the pants that brought up a sore subject?

8. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

Sno-Way has used down pressure for years. Looking at the parts breakdown of their Down Pressure plow vs. their gravity down plow, the lift ram is different, the hydraulics unit has additional valves in the body, and a down pressure relief valve... not to mention an additional button on the controll. Seems pretty exotic to try and replicate that with a conventional plow.

9. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I've searched and read a lot of info but i have gathered just enough to get me into trouble. Looking for info on what relay box i need.

Also was wondering how this worked in "Float" position. You activate float with your aftermarket switch engaged and then you can apply down pressure. Then once switch is off it is returned to true float mode right?

I'm a fabricator by trade not an electrician, so i will probably ask "dumb" questions to some people, truth be known i know nothing about electrical wiring, that was the most frustrating part on my liquid deicer setup i bulit lol so if anyone could give me a link to the right discussion i would appreciate it.

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

There are a lot of threads about this, I spent many hrs trying to figure this out, I do know you remotely use your smart hitch 2 switch with relays but I would love to figure this out myself.

11. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Ive been reading everything i can find but still no definite ways of doing it, seems there are 2 different ways and the way im wanting is a toggle switch to change the float function on the controller, its more elaborate and hopefully doesn't cause the pump motor to constantly run. I don't want that being under warantee, or really in general. I have found diagrams for which wires to use, but know nothing about relays, circuit boards, ect... I need the "wire your plow for dummies" guide lol

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why are you wanting down pressure? Seems like a dumb question, and maybe it is!

13. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Try this one
    plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=78233&highlight=boss+back+drag

14. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Back dragging it would help out i believe. I can drag about 2 feet then it starts to float up on top of the snow, you can push then back drag but ive had the same issue when i get a pile so if i could have down force it would hopefully stop some of this, especially when i get back drag edges built. It really would help in loading docks that have had traffic by trailers/semi's and really have some hard packed snow, even pushing into the dock first it would help by being able to add more pressure.

That link is the one i read, maybe i missed something but found just enough info to get into trouble :D im interested in the 2 black boxes/relays needed. Ive gone as far as wikipedia on relays to try and sort it out but im completely ignorant on electrical work. Built my own liquid deicer with some help and the electrical took as long as anything for me to do so im just trying not to screw anything up and do it right, i know someone knows how, PM's are fine if it is that touchy of a subject, i really don't see why it is not ok, to privately modify your plow and show how you did it, if you aren't charging for the service. JMO

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

down pressure really is a joke... I owned a POS Snoway mege rev, and very rarely did i use the down pressure, and even when i did, I difference between where i used it and where i didnt was not substancial... Its cool to say you have it but the $$$ investment is not worth the plowing improvement IMO

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Down pressure certainly has its uses.

I'm sorry, but I doubt you will find anyone here posting the exact details of how it is wired due to patent infringement. I would even go so far as to say I would expect any posts detailing it would get deleted.

You need to find someone locally that can help you with the wiring.