1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Down is up, up is down

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Snaaar, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

I have 2 Fishers and one Hiniker that are controlled normally.

I had to replace a controller 2 years ago for my second Hiniker. It has a stubby joystick and on top of that, up drops the plow and down raises it. If a driver goes from another truck to this one, there will probably be trouble.

Did Hiniker abandon this "design"? I guess I could e-mail Hiniker, but I'm looking for instant gratification.

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im not familar with these controls but can you switch the wiring for up and down?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Pushing forward (toward the led) on the stubby joy stick lowers the plow (float) (the led will change color.)
    Pulling back will raise the plow.

4. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

What passes for my local Hiniker dealer took my controller from me and said Hiniker was "fixing" them for free (the internal circuitry or wiring). A few weeks later, the controller was returned to me untouched; somehow it was decided that they weren't going to fix them after all, or perhaps my dealer was just deranged.

I suppose I could switch wires somewhere in the system, but I don't know exactly where. Anyway, this exploratory work will have to get in line behind the other repair and maintenance jobs that have piled up.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

This is how the Boss Joysticks are. I couldnt stand it so instead of bumbling around with wires i just spun the joystick around so up would be up and down be down. But then left and right were opposite so i just swaped the hoses on the plow around. Done

6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Theres an easy fix for ya. I should do that to the Blizzard too.

7. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

you can take apart your hiniker remote and unplug the stubby joy stick,
    turn it and plug it into the other plug to reverse the controls.
    then pop off the red cover and flip it over for the right directions.

Hiniker rem.jpg

8. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Thanks for the solutions, guys. Here's to you!

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol,,, But why do this???

Every piece of equipment that I have operated, had forward for down and back for up.
    It's the norm.
    The only time this was reversed was to operate rear mounted implements.
    Then back would be down and forward is up.

Snaaar "I have 2 Fishers and one Hiniker that are controlled normally."

lol... Well,,,You have one that is normal..:waving:

10. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Snaaar,
    Maybe you should replace the other plows, with some more hinikers. LOL

11. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Speaking in the sense of equipment such as dozers and loaders of course its the norm, i havent seen them anyother way. But the plow equipment industry is kind of split down the middle . . . fisher, western, meyers/diamond & curtis are what i grew up seeing as the norm for controls (up/up down/down) on the other hand . boss, hiniker, blizzard (any more?) they all went for the loader like control which i personally dont like with a plow. I guess just being used to the way the other plows operated made me not like what i was used to getting flipped around.
    .....just my 2 pennies

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If they were backward is is because they were mounted upside down.lol

two more cents...lol

13. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Push forwards for down, pull back for up: these are natural movements I agree. My loader operates this way.

My plow control "faces" are oriented vertically, or close to vertical, so there is no forwards or back. The control in "my truck" is my favorite: the fishstick (EZV 8.5' plow) - also up/up.

I didn't know all these other brands of plows had different up/down controls. Strange that the industry is 'split down the middle'. Thanks for the education.

To each his own. Cheers!

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i can see where your coming from if your using a joystick controller (and have it mounted right), then back would be up, and forward would be down, but it you have it mounted vertical, then down would be up, and up would be down.

15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I would be raising ten tons of you know what if the remote is wired wrong.Is it the remote your is it operater error?:confused:

RCGM
    Brad

16. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

The hiniker remote is more for holding in your hand not so much of hanging of the dash like most fisher and western controls. So up is up and down is down makes sense. However forward is up and back is down seems opposite of what comes naturally.

17. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

my curtis is the same way up=down so on and so on, i've been using fishers for years but i won;t mind running the curtis