1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dowflake vs peladow

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jcoria, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Which is better and why?

I've always used bagged ice b gone and love it but I got three bags of peladow since I finished my pallet of ice b gone and I wasn't impressed. The ice b gone seemed to work faster than the peladow but I want to try different calcium now. I had dowflake for my house a few years ago and I remember it was pretty good but never used it commercially. Now I need a pallet and I don't know which way to go. Should I get dowflake or peladow or stick with the ice b gone?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

mix it ...1 peladow and 4 ice be gone....quicker burn down and lasts longer than either one individually

just what i have found works well on sidewalks

3. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Thanks. Looks like I'll be buying a pallet of Ice B Gone and some bags of Peladow. It is just mixing them in a bucket right?

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Peladow/flake seemed to get a lot of complaints from clients with too much residue tracking into buildings. I think it melts off to quickly, meaning dissolves too quickly where as the ice be gone tends to last longer and give some traction. Also peladow can have a ball bearing effect if you apply before a storm or early in a storm. I use treated products like ice be gone but mix with peladow if the temps are going to be real cold.

5. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

90plow what is a ball bearing effect you mentioned?

6. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I think because the actual shape of the product is round...

7. navyman

navyman Member

Walking on marbles....

8. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Ahh, okay that makes sense.

9. leolkfrm

yup, i use a 5 qt oil jug with the bottom cut at an angle, nylon gloves not leather, and hand spread,

10. leolkfrm

have found that if someone over applys(instead of making a pass with a shovel)
    it creates the marble affect.

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Both work they are the same product CC.

I make my own side walk ice melter. Take bulk salt and screen with 1/4 inch hardware cloth.

Used the stuff that passes through the screen and mix in 20% of either calcium product you mentioned.

No ball bearings...that stuff breaks up easy.

Wish I could find it cheaper. Paying about 18.00 a 50 pound bag.

12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

See if you can get something like:
    http://frostbiteicemelt.com/
    I get it for $12/50lb bag.
    My dealer had a little bucket of it so you can see how it feels. Doesn't clump.
    How do you mix your stuff?

13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Interesting. I have not seen this product before. It might be a nice alternative
    To my making my own.

How I make mine is simple. You need one guy but two makes it go faster.

I built a 4 x 2 frame out of 2 x 4's wrapping the hardware cloth around the frame and use 1 x 2 one the out side to secure.

Then you need two saw horses. I lay the frame on the horses and set it up next to my salt pile. I then hand scoop road salt onto the screen and by hand mave it around letting the smaller product fall through. After it is mostly done I dump the large material and start over. After I get about one bobcat bucket I dump a bag or two of straight calcium chloride and mix by hand or use the bobcat yo mix. I then load into 5 gallon buckets.

This product you shared.....what is in it ?

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Ps....I use quality road salt. The blue stuff that has a anti caking stuff added.

I am getting it for 95 a ton

15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

chemmakeup.jpg

like this? No idea what any of it is... the guy said it's basically fertilizer with a plastic added (IIRC).
    I haven't used any yet.

chemmakeup.jpg

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Interesting.

They advertise there is no Chlorides in the product, but I see Calcium, Potassium, Sodium.

Other compound that I am not sure what they are...but I would guess they are coating.

Might be great stuff though.

I am paying $ 2.37 for 50 pounds of NaCL in bulk

I am paying $ 18.00 for 50 pounds of CaCl in bag.

so my mix is costing me $ 6.87 for 50 pounds. With 25% mix of CaCl.

But I would like to hear how your stuff works. Thank you.

17. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

PS...that price is without a labor factor.

So you might as well say it is expensive.

18. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

yes, I don't have any place to do a large setup like you must have. I'd have to get a bigger shed to get a cement mixer inside. Getting anything in bulk... I can't even get my truck in my backyard. Not enough room to get past the house. Bulk would be nice...

19. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

You can do it on your drive way in the summer or fall. Heck even in the winter when it is dry.

Buy bagged material.

But I can see storage of made material will be a problem.

Another problem....5 gallon buckets. I was given from the city 300 buckets with lids. They were used and had contained a producted used in pool water treatment.

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

lol,I love those buckets.My brother in law is a plumber for a school and has a constant supply of those buckets from pool treatment ,the ones I get have screw on lids.I have about 25 so far and told him keep them coming!