1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Douglas Dynamics is listening!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FisherVMan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Just a quick post about something that happened on here yesterday. I posted a comment on a "Boss" thread that here in Maine I am noticing a big push from Boss and they are really getting more "in bed" with old time Fisher Dealerships . I had also commented that trying to get ahold of a warm body down in Rockland is very difficult as I had been trying for almost a year to get a few answers about "wing extensions" and never could. Anyway after making that post; within a few hours I got a message from the VP of Douglas inviting me to contact him personally with any concerns I may have?????
    I was obviously quite impressed; that they are certainly monitoring things, that go on this site; so I guess even though it seams like it is impossible to get to them; it may not be as difficult as I thought it was................ I will post a follow up to this; After I visit with them; in case others on here have had similar thoughts to mine???Thumbs Up

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Fisher V Man, that's great to hear! I definitely plan on getting a set of wings also, just looking for the right deal. But I've said before, it almost seems like the wing extensions are some sort of secret, and aren't really marketed all that much- for whatever reason.
    There are many loyal fisher, western, blizzard followers on here. And maybe, just maybe, DD will start checking up on these so called dealerships that have forgotten what customer service is.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I was contacted by John Murphy after making a thread about my Minute Mount 1 restoration. He was a great guy to talk with and helped out by sending me some new Decals for the plow. Definitely restored my confidence in Fisher.

FisherVman- can you ask about wings for the Xblades as well?

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on John Murphy and Fisher....Have talked to John Via Phone and Email Several times....Good guy to deal with and i for one appreciate the contact...Thumbs Up

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Funny you say that about the dealer. Where i bought my plow it is a fisher and boss dealer. The guy behind the counter really try to talk me into a boss. I had to finally tell him. I want a fisher end of story. Then he gave up. But he was pushing the boss hard.

6. andy'slawncare

andy'slawncare Member

How do I get ahold of someone at fisher? I have three fisher plows now. I just bought a BRAND new fisher xls last week from a local dealer. After 2-3 hrs of plowing 75% of the decals came over already. I contacted the dealer Monday morning about the situation and have heard nothing back yet. I need someone to call directly at fisher to answer my concerns.

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

8. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

The splat decal lasted about about 2 hrs on my HD when I got it in 08. What I can say is the paint is holding up very well compared to the older plows.

We want!!!!!!!!!!!!WINGS FOR THE HD!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dealer gets the HD wing question many times a day.

Maybe we should start a poll and send the results to Fisher.

9. Matson Snow

Mine a Long Gone.....PM me your adress and i will send you a set....Fisher sent me a replacement set that i will never use..

10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well I have not called John yet but I did recieve a "wing extension" today and I now know exactly why they claim it wouldnt work with my plow............................ they are right Fisher moved the spring station on my plow in about three inches so the corner that becomes the push point for the 8-9ft plows is set in slightly more than on mine. The wing extension is so well made it reminds me of everything else Fisher builds and it is RUGGED. The thing fits perfectly up against my outboard rib and looks fantastic. But when you try to slide it behind the spring station of course it is toooooooo long . At first glance it appears we can cut the arms off and reposition them and fab up a landing area on my spring station however because of the leverages involved I have a friend that is an engineer and I am going to get him to look this over carefully before we start cutting this expensive wing............... I will keep you all posted how it goes......... I really need this extension to wing back narrow drives instead of driving over the huge snow balls that fall down in front of my tire without this extra width. It would be a real honey of a deal to just pin it on and cut the banks back and then just unpin it and throw it in the back until you needed it again.............. why in the HE!! they didnt just build one for the 90" plow with slightly shorter arms to take care of everyone of their loyal customers??? [I would have thought they would sell 10X as many for a narrower plow?????] is a total mystery to me??? Here is how far off it actually is.................. just enough to take the Happy out of New Year!
    [​IMG]
    I am sure I can reengineer it, and do it correctly, but am now wondering if the climb is worth the view???

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I'll take them off your hands before you cut them up V Man!!!!

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Hey Cuban................... I am not sure what I am going to do now as this is not a 15 min project. I had intentions of just modifying the top of that spring station to make a landing spot for the brace arms and thought that would do it .................... Now that I see that the distances are way off this is going to be ALOT more work.:mad:
    Anyway I gotta tell you that these are NOT to be compared to Prowings or any of the Johnny Come Lately stuff you see guys riggin up .................. these are FIRST CLASS very well made and engineered wings that to bend them or where they hook up would take unreal force way behond what the plow was ever designed for. I am guessing double overbuilt. .................

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I agree they do seem pretty well made. My boss has a set but he won't give them up!

14. andy'slawncare

andy'slawncare Member

Matson: I don't have enough post yet to pm send me an email. andybirkholz@hotmail.com
    Thanks

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

can you post a pic of the complete wing to look at? Never seen a reel set just scematics. Thx.

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Pics............

Cedar;
    It is dark here now but I will take a few pics tomorrow for you if you like and I have a couple of photos of them on another truck so you can see what they look like! They appear to have made my blade almost 52" wide from the center pin ................[it is 45" without them on] or around 6 1/2" wider[or basically the exact same as the 8.5XV blade would be normally] and that is plenty to get the snow out past the tire in good shape; So they would be a heck of a deal to "wing back" narrow drives where you have no place left to put it and the sides are getting tooooo high and its just falling back into the road every time and you cant swing out any more cause when you get your tire out over the edge of the gravel you are going to nose dive as you are already to the very edge of the road! Enjoy:blush2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Matson Snow

Andy.......Email me your adress......matsonsnow@sbcglobal.net.......Thanks Todd

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fishervman- can you measure the length of that rear brace/arm. it looks like they'd work on the xblades as well

19. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Thanks! They look awesome! Plow XXX :drinkup:
    Very efficient I would say, we have 3 V's running, think I need to get some of them.

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Plowguy43 I will get you some measurements in the morning........................ these things are THE way to go if they will fit your plow no question about it.................
    I got a buddy that has a new XV 8.5 in Houlton and he is coming down tomorrow and I am going to scope out how Fisher compleated the top of the spring tower and set these up................. this is sorta alot like reinventing the wheel here.. but I guess if you can fabricate parts for the inside of a Parker shotgun we should be able to fit a snowplow bracket????? I gotta say "it does frost my as* "that I have to, though............................. No need of this foolishness whatso ever; they shoud have had these available; for the boys that bought the plows from them and who ever made the decision in the company to not build them for the 90" plows, not sure if they had bad information or just didnt know the market or how they have arrived at that decision?? Looks like they have really droped the ball on this issue: IMO. I am not impressed with this whole lack of info; on these wings .............. it probably has something to do with lawyers; and liablilitys if they bend a plow wing; or some other darn thing; so they dont want to promote them who knows........... as expensive as these plows are nowadays; I personally feel like Fisher missed the boat on this "wing thing" and have lost out on many many sales for these; as the interest is obviously quite high for them; but like so many are saying "they have never even seen them".............. I am probably one of their staunchest supporters; they have ever had; but I am not impressed with this topic at all......................................................
    My buddy in Houlton told me tonite that they have a new Boss Dealer in Houlton [This is where John Murphy the VP of Douglas is from ] and that he is selling Red plows all over town. I asked him how that is happening and he told me that the guy up there said they make it ALOT easyer for the dealer and have better incentives to get the plows out the door?? You got me at this point.....................