1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

doubling up on the cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TMELO72, Sep 30, 2005.

1. TMELO72

TMELO72 Junior Member

I just started working for MassHighway last winter and I'm trying to find ways to extend the life of my cutting edges and reuse older one's.

I'm thinking of doubling up my cutting edge so that the previous edge is on top of the new(er) one. I think I have enough base angle so that I can drill a hole staight through the larger new edge and into the base angle. The top of the older edge would be flush with the bolts that hold on the newer edge.

I'm hoping to doube the edge thickness. If this works, what I'll be doing is consantly putting the lower edge on top of a newer one as these things wear away.

Does anybody see anything that would make this a bad idea?

I've seen someone else do something like this except he only did one corner of the edge instead straight across the entire edge.

thanks

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think your just going to wear down two cutting edges, but who knows try it and let us know how it works

3. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

if it works let us know. but thats a lot more weight to carry around. :waving:

4. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

First off, good luck drilling the holes. I think it would wear down just as fast as with a single edge. It will probly add 50-80lbs to your plow. Sticking out further then a single edge might cause snow/ice to build up on the plow above the cutting edge.

These are just my thoughts on it.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would also think that the doubled up edge would not scrape as well because of the larger area contacting the ground surface....Just a thought....

6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

We plow town roads too and run poly edges. Great wear and scraping. The poly edge is also MUCH quieter than the steel edges. I often plow with a window cracked or down and can listen to the radio at a normal level. With the steel edges, windows are up and radio is on loud to drown out the edge. Poly is the way to go. Much better wear than steel and also shock absorbtion if you hit manhole covers, etc.

7. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Bah, drilling the holes or blowing the holes through with a torch is nothing new. Alot of guys do that when they've worn down a blade and want to get some additional life out of it.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking about 'stacking' (for lack of a better term) scraper edges? Bolting the second one about 1/2 way down on the first one? If this is what you mean, they have been doing this on the highway trucks up in Canada for quite a while.

What kind of plow and truck?

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't recommend burning the holes because they will be so sloppy that with the vibration they will loosen too easy.

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think MassHighway will allow poly edges. We have always doubled up our edges and have gotten much better wear on the doubles for what ever reason, I think due to spreading the weight out over twice the surface.

We just use longer bolts and stack them up. I think that from what you are describing you are talking about bolting the old blade on to the lower portion of the ''main" cutting edge? If so be careful becuse you are making the trip edge much longer, therefore creating more leverage which equals more damage when you hit things. Trust me I know due to using 8'' tall edges in a set of added lower holes on the base angle on fisher plows in the past. :cry:

11. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I always ran double edges or Carbide....

Hello, I always ran double edges on my big plows.When I could afford them I ran carbide ,if you didnt hit anything they lasted all season plus,plus,had one on one of my wings for four seasons.Most of the towns up north and the State run Carbide also.
    You are correct NO Poly,No Rubber when plowing for Mass Highway.

12. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Why no Poly edges guys, any idea? I thought I heard that last season Vermont and New Hampshire were "experimenting" with the poly...

13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Not Sure their logic?

Not sure why Mass highway doesnt want poly or rubber.They seem to be against anything new.They only want V-box spreaders also, while neighboring states use different types.I wanted to try a carbide with a rubber behind it,with our highways in such bad shape I figured it would be nicer to my equipment.

14. TMELO72

TMELO72 Junior Member

reply to all - thks tm

THANKS GUYS - Some very good points. Ice and snow build up just above the cutting edges makes since to me. How much that will effect the plowing and scraping, I don't know.

Mark - "stacking" that exactly it. I just started this last winter and have my eyes open on what other guys are doing.

Plowed - I don't know for sure but I don't think they will let me go with poly. I tryed shoes last winter and they didn't like that. Shoes didn't last more than one night about (I think) 18hrs

oshkosh - I'd love to try carbide but with the roads we have down here in MA I wouldn't make it out of the parking lot we all start off at.

Big Dod D - You have a good point about the longer edge and doing more damage. The first thing I hit last winter with a new edge scared the %#@%!!!! out of me :eek:
    I was awake all night no problem

Thanks Guys

If I can get the holes in I'm going to try it and see what happens. So far HSS drill bits aren't doing it - a Carbide tiped drill is next

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey could this be a good excuse for buying a plasma cutter?
    Dear: I need to blast square holes in steel.

16. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Drilling cuttimg edege

Hi,Last season i turned my cutting edge upside-down on myers model 90.I drilled the holes 37/64 inch to fit them 1/2 carriage bolt in.Drilling was pretty easy,i just xtremely over-sharpeng the drill bit on a bench grinder w/drill bit still chucked in the drill (Lotsa practice) I futhermore plug welded the old holes shut w/some misc 1/4 nuts as gap filler.(5/16 just quite dont fit in the square holes. Note:Whichever cutting configuration There are some factors to consider.Is the plow a-frame lever when plow is down.pounds per square when plow is in down position per lenght of edge multiplied times thicknes.Cutting edge height modified above or below manufatory recomended height.(tripping action increase/decrease. Whatever works best for you. welded wrenches