1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doubling up cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cormegfarms, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Cormegfarms

Cormegfarms Junior Member
    from WI

Anyone have any experience doubling up the straight parts of the MVP plus plow. Not getting very good life out of my 1/2" edges. Thinking about putting two sets of straight edges on. Center would still be single. Would this give me more than double wear life?
    Thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Double edges don't seem to scrape as well. We had the same idea on some of our bigger Plows and there was a noticeable difference.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

We run double edges on our fishers One carbide with regular edge on top .We plow roads Seems to scrape fine, Last longer.than the regular edge on my other truck. Back blades better too

4. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Yeah we do it - lasts longer didn't notice any diff other than longer life

5. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

my 9' unimount that i got of the dity had the cutting edges doubled and it worked pretty good. you might also look into grader edges from a local metal shop. One side has a hardened beveled edge and it works great for cleaning to the concrete.

6. RSE

RSE Member

I have heard of municipalities doubling the edges of their bigger plows.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run 5/8x8'' edges then on the ends I double it
    The new MVP I just bought it came with 1/2 edges and I put 5/8'' piece on the ends to slow the wear down still scrapes well

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You'll double the life of your edges at twice the cost.:dizzy:

9. quigleysiding

Yes but we save on the labor of changing them.:D

10. leigh

from CT

Aha,good point.But you'll have the added cost of longer bolts!

11. quigleysiding

Chump change :waving: I hate changing cutting edges. The longer I can put it off the better

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  12. quigleysiding

Plus when you change them you only buy one . The front one goes to the rear and you put the new one on the front. My two trucks that plow roads go through cutting edges like crazy. My truck that does driveways and a few small lots only gets one a season. This year I might not have to change any the way it's been going.:cry:

13. leigh

from CT

I'm seeing the light now! I'll buy a lifetime worth of edges,avoid the rising pricing and mount them all at once !Thumbs Up

PS My fisher mc has flipable (is that a word?) edges so I have to remove and reinstall.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I hate them flip edges More labor involved Wear 2 '' flip wear 2'' Just put a normal edge on and wear 4'' then replace it more simple
    My Skid plow had that when I bought it that first thing I removed and replace before it even seen snow I didn't want to be out in the cold flipping it mid season

15. leigh

from CT

The mc cutting edge lasts 2 seasons per side,it takes me 15 mins to flip it.Burnoff bolts 5 mins,the edge is 2 piece so its an easy one man job. But I understand where you're coming from,I've got my own list of things I hate to do,just ask my wife!

16. bub3020

bub3020 Member
    from ma.

I run double 3/4x8" on my 9 ft fisher. Works good plowing roads

17. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

That's allot of weight on your front end!!

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

We have tried running doubles on our dust pans and they don't scrape for sh!t. Unless you are plowing mostily gravel stay with a single cutting edge you will be a lot happier.

19. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

We double up the last 16 or so inches of our 8 and 9 foot blades. usually a 5/8 edge with 1/2 inch extras on the ends. it makes the edge wear even instead of wearing a smile in the edge. no problems scraping at all. Another trick is to trip the edge part way back and weld in some small pieces of 3/8 steel. it stands the edge up so you may wear it down further before replacing. It basicall gives the standard plows the same scraping as an x blade.

20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict