1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Double up the corners

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by glockg23, Jan 17, 2008.

1. glockg23

glockg23 Member

I Double up the corners, makes the cutting blade last twice as long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because all of my customers want it, to the concrete, therefore I do not use the skids.

All I do is buy an extra cutting blade. Then brake out the cutting torch, and cut 9" wide strips.
    Then cut out the square holes using all of the existing holes, that gives me eight corner pieces,

What tricks do you guys do to extend the life of your Plow and or Cutting edge?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

nothing,

How much longer than just using two edges(one at a time)
    does this doubling up last?

Seams like a wast of an edge.
    Wouldn't a set of curb guards be cheaper and easer?

3. glockg23

glockg23 Member

Hello SnoFarmer

Well for me the corners are the first to go.
    My corners would be shot way to soon, but I still had allot of good steel in the middle. I had to replace the cutting edge or it would be eating into the plow itself.

So I was sick of replacing cutting edges before their time, and I starting doubling up on the corners.

Works great for me, anyway

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do not use any shoes and run along curbs.
    The curb guards will do the same thing as your doubled up edge does plus it will protect the corner of your plow from the damage/wear you are seeing on the corner of your plow from the curbs.

5. glockg23

glockg23 Member

Those curb guards are $85.47 around here,
    but I do not ride the curbs real hard.
    Maybe I need to clarify - I am not talking about just the tip, my corners wear from the tip to about 9 inches in.

don't your corners wear fast?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  6. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

I see a greater wear at the edges of mine as well. I figured it was from windrowing and having the plow mount on the truck too high, making the plow itself ride unlevel when angled, causing the lead end of the plow to touch first and the trailing end to be slightly lifted off the pavement.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

your geometry is off....truck is too high

8. W8N4snow

W8N4snow Member

I've lowered the mount so the forks are about 12" or so off the pavemant. We'll see how it wears now.

It hooks up faster now as well.