1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Double Dipping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Mar 3, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Has anyone here plowed for someone else and then went and plowed for them self? I did it this past storm (03/01/2005) A freind of mine called me to ask if I could fill in for the company that he plows for. I did a total of 80 driveways that day.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I do it, i subcontract and then go plow a couple of drives my self.
    Alot of people here do it also.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

thats not double dipping, thats just trying to get the most out of your equipment.

4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Wow! only a couple. I had 50 of my own to still plow when I was done at 10pm. I would have gotten more done for the company I was helping out, but I plow with a Chevy 454 and I was using a company Ford F250 SD with a 6.0L Power Stroke and I took a while to get used to how the truck plowed and it also had a sander in the back which hung out 3 feet. I have a funny feeling that I will be called out again the next storm since I did a better job plowing than the others tha plow for him. Time will tell

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Double dipping would be plowing your own personal accounts using your boss' equipment.

jp

6. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

or how about paying a guy $60-75, cash per hour, and finding out he did a few of his own accounts on your time... hmmmmm

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This is why when I have a fleet of subs, everytruck will get a tracking device. So I know where they all were. I wouldn't have any problem with them plowing a few driveways as long as it was a 50/50 split of the money. If they were using one of my trucks then it would be a 27/75 split of the money. If they lied I would know. Then they would be fired.

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I doubt any sub would want a tracking device in their own truck. Not that many people take advantage of the their contactor, but it would make the subs think that they aren't trustworthy enough to do their job.

The state of MA and local contactors have been fighting about using GPSA tracking for quite some time now.

9. Jone43

Jone43 Member

I plow my personal accounts in between trips to the sites I do for the contractor I sub for. He is getting paid for my time by the commercial property owners and as long as his sites are open and cleared by the time the employees arrive, he has no problem with me opening up my stufff. Besides, he is a SLOW payer, so I told him I have to cover my expenses with something while waiting the 30 plus days it takes to pay me.

10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I guess this would mean he is picking up extra accounts for you! No one could assume they are going to get paid twice for a job done once right? Probably no time to tell you he had gotten another account. :rolleyes: I'd have to place a :help: wanted ad. If that polw guy asked, I would say I was looking for more people to help with all these "new" accounts.

Sorry, I was just looking to use some smileys. :)
    :jester:

Jeff

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Most people that subcontract have their own stuff too. I do mine after the main stuff's over. I log what contract and how long for the contractor I work for. I don't get travel time pay. He knows about how long each place takes he's not an idiot, he plows the same places. If the guys plowing stuff too,he's allowed to save himself sub pay by doing it himself,that's how business works.

12. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

George Costanza certainly wouldnt mind this.