1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT Size Tailgate Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowboy9999, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Snowboy9999

Snowboy9999 Junior Member

Is anyone out there using the larger DOT sized tailgate spreaders for tandem and tri-axle dumps?

I'm curious about how well they work and what kind of problems to expect when using them.

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we use flink spreaders and have no problem with them except the occasional clog from a clump of material. The only drawback to this type of spreader is that you have to constantly raise bed to shift material down to spreader and some are known to dig material from one side of the bed causing you to have to shovel some or reload .A great advantage to the tailgate salters is that the entire unit can be removed in about 10 minutes with 1 person and a set of forks.Personally I like my vbox spreader better because once I load it I have no problems . It does however take much more time to remove and takes up more space in the off season.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Most DOTs and Town Public Works now use the multi bodies that have a front spreader and the body tips sideways and a drivetrain pulls the material forward. The unit still dumps like a regular dump truck. This makes it easy to dump extra material back into the pile or to go from spreading to other work.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

In chi town, non of the idot or local municipal use the multi body with the front mounted spinner as it will rot your frame and add to much weight in the off season it is also incapable of salting both sides of roads and parking lots are impossible.

5. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

I currently use all season boxes on my trucks and was glad to get rid of the V-spreaders we refered to them as "suicide sanders" because when it gets slippery you have to back the trucks over hills rather then have sand or salt placed in front of the drive wheels on a all season box. Plow trucks are generally very heavy on the right side and run on a road crown of 2-4% and when you raise the side dump it does a lot to stabilize the truck and make the job safer. Rust won't be a problem if you wash your truck regularly and apply on preservitive in spring. Lastly when somthing goes wrong with the spreader you don't have to unload material by hand like from a V-sander it can generally be dumped before repairs to say the chain. I use the same dumps in summer for asphalt and gravel it takes 5 min to change them over

6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

we run three dot size trucks with salters....never have had a problem, very reliable, carry more less time filling