1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT numbers on Pick Up trucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dgerke, Feb 13, 2011.

1. dgerke

dgerke Member

Lately Ive been noticing Pick up trucks with DOT numbers on them.Is this now a requirement?If so were do I go to get one ? I'm from the State of Michigan..

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have commercial license on it I think you have to display your DOT number.

3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

In mn its any commercial over 10,000 gvw needs it.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

It been lawn in ny for over 5 years onerous 10000

5. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Depends on your state regs..
    check out your local DMV website, you should be able to fine out there.

In Ky, we do not have to have one for plowing, unless its over 10,000GVW unless its a farm truck, or a tow truck. I think some transporting companies are required depending on what they transport (even in a car) but I am not sure in it.

7. fercho1

fercho1 Member

Depends on the state

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

If your vehicle or combination of vehicles has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs or greater and is used in commerce, you need a DOT number. It can be on a magnet or permanently affixed to the vehicle.

Colorado has been enforcing that rule HARD for the last few years. They always have multiple portable scales and inspections almost any day of the week and seem to nab more pickups than they do big rigs. I'm legal and I'm glad they are cracking down. It evens the playing field a little more.

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I've been noticing the same thing here in NY. I don't believe many of these pick ups would be over 10,000 lbs.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of wrong info here.A truck by itself or a truck and it's trailer with a Rated weight combined of 10,000 lbs. or more used for commerce[plowing/salting is commerce as an example] needs DOT authority in most states for both intra and interstate travel.It's not a big deal at all,if you do the application yourself,I'm quite sure it's still free,you just have to pay for the signage of your choice that has to go on the truck/tractor. Here's 1 link that I found on the fly:
    USDOT Number All businesses operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) across state lines must have and display a USDOT number. Most states also require businesses that operarate a CMV solely within their state to have a USDOT number also. A CMV is any vehicle by itself or used in combination with a trailer, which the total loaded weight, of the truck and/or combination, is rated at 10,000 lbs or greater. All Intrastate vehicles transporting Hazmat or US Mail with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or more must also have a USDOT #. Farm vehicles 10,000 lbs. GVWR and over are also required to have a US DOT # now.

11. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Illinois cops cracking down on this as well. We have USDOT numbers on all our dumps. Not pickups though.

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We have DOT numbers on all trucks. The 3/4 tons don't need them as they're under 10k GVWR, but as soon as they're hooked to the smallest of trailers, they're over 10k combined GVWR, so they are necessary at that point. In MN, you don't have to have them on the truck, just need to be able to produce it upon request, unless you cross state lines. I can't expect an employee to remember the DOT number, so I put it on the trucks when I have them lettered, as it's a very minimal additional cost to the lettering.

13. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

In Michigan if you run a truck and trailer in the summer or winter with a 10,000 combined GVWR then you need to have DOT numbers. Pretty much every commercial company in michigan has them on their trucks. They put this in effect to try and get rid of some of the little mom and pop companies driving around in their navigators and dump trailers. And yes I have actually seen this going down I75:dizzy:. They are free through the internet so it's best to at least get them.

14. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

oh man, don't get me started on this crap!

but it does depend on your state, and who you talk to in that state, or if you cross state lines, etc. etc. etc.....

Personally I believe it to be a revenue generator!

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The number and registration are "free" ,until your caught.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You got a link to anything saying you need them in IL? I haven't been able to find anything and the Fed site shows that IL doesn't require them.

17. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I live in Ohio, right on the Michigan border. I have one account that is in Michigan. Do I need to have DOT numbers to go into michigan for one account? Thanks

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Yes...........

19. todddude

todddude Junior Member

Yea we need them on pickups in NY as stated above. We put them on all trucks with commercial plates, even my jeep. Probably don't need it on that but it looks cool matching all the other trucks. Plus I think it is a little more profesional looking overall when all the trucks match up with signage, truck #'s & DOT numbers. Clients don't know if you have 2 or 22 trucks, make first truck is #105 then go from there:)

20. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

As far as I know you don't need them in IL unless you are doing interstate commerce.

Seeing your location, and the fact your probably running across the border, then I'm almost positive you need a DOT inspection and DOT numbers on your truck.