1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT numbers and logo

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplower1, Jan 1, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I got my numbers for DOT for my truck but i dont know anywhere around here that puts the numbers on the truck and the business name. Does anyone in rochester NY know where i could do this?
    Also any input on what else i need to do for making sure my requirements are up to date would be helpful, thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can't put the numbers on yourself?

3. snowplower1

i could but i dont have the numbers ha, is there a website you can just have them shipped and do it yourself

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Staples, office depot, office max,,,party supply place. All's you need is 1" numbers

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Just look them up eBay. Find someone who cuts them and just give them your #'s. Bet you can have them shipped right to your door for $10-15 and they will look professional. Very easy to install.

7. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

8. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

NY requires 2" numbers

9. Level12

Level12 Member

I can cut the numbers if you need.

10. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I called DOT and asked them what is required. The guy told me 2" DOT numbers and business name. In addition he said I have to carry road hazard triangles, a First Aid kit, Vehicle maintenance records.

Also they guy warned me NOT to fall for any of the BS "Mandatory Compliance rip offs that came when I applied for my numbers. They sound very official and insist on sending them money right away. All Bull Crap.

11. CjBonavenia

CjBonavenia Member

Been stoped by dot it ny manny times you allso need a fire extinguisher allso if you have a Cdl you will need to provide them with a medical card witch is filled out by your doctor the full Cdl physical is a pain in the ass . I have been stoped in my 5500 witch dose not require a Cdl to drive but have been asked to see my medical card ny dot sucks lol

12. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

You need a medical card now with a class d license if your vehicle gvwr is over 10k or if your towing a trailer and combined vehicle and trailer gvwr is over 10k. But thats if you got your license after 2004 (or was it 2006). I had to get mine when they stopped me in September, I got court for it tuesday

13. snowplower1

these are great things guys, i'll probably give them a call just so if theres any problems i can say i talked to so and so and they said i was good. it is not a cdl required truck so it wont need any of that. Hopefully i can have everything together tomorrow so i dont have to worry about getting any fines

14. South Seneca

You're right. I'm a Fire Captain so I carry a Fire Extinguisher anyway. I have the medical card too for my CDL. I think I paid $85 or $90 for that physical. It is very involved, but not as bad as my Coast Guard Captain physical.

15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Im not sure about where you are, but here, If I am using my vehicle commercially (or to make money), I have to have a Commercial Drivers License to drive it (there for making it a CDL required vehicle). DOT numbers (at last check a couple years ago) are not required on my vehicles as they are under the weight class, however, I do have to have the name of business and city/state posted in 2 inch letters on both sides of the vehicle to be "legal". Might double check to see if you really dont need a CDL license...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  16. snowplower1

On the nys dot it says dot is required for any gvwr over 10,000 and cdl is required for any gvwr over 26,000 (or close to that) I'm only 12,000 so I'm good

17. South Seneca

When I called the DOT to get the official requirements for mine, the guy said they are working toward nation wide standardization of DOT Regs, so that those who haul over the road even from one state to another will be legal in any state. Thus our new DOT numbers begin with "USDOT."

18. snowplower1

I wonder if that will make things better or worst

19. South Seneca

Just like everything else the Fed gets involved in. It'll be an expensive cluster ****.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do I Need One?

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding.

AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
    Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
    Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number..

i plow in Wi also and i dont need a dot#.
    few of us need one.

Apart from federal regulations, some states require commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT Number. These states include:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maine
    Maryland
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    New Jersey
    New York
    Nebraska
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

A commercial motor vehicle can be defined as:

Vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds
    Vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver
    Vehicle designed to transport 11 or more passengers, including the driver, and used to transport students under the age twenty-one years of age to and from school. Any vehicle transporting hazardous materials which is required to be placarded.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015