1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT making sparks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DFLS, Mar 1, 2009.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I was following this truck at 1 am a few hours after the strorm ended and he had the wing plow down basically grinding it on the pavement. As you can see there was nothing for the plow to scrape. And those edges cost how much to replace???

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPj8lx3wr9c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPj8lx3wr9c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

why would he care hes not paying for it.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Ive seen them plowing with less than that on the roads. They like to scrape them up really good before they salt it seems

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Looked to me like he was clearing a ramp, clearing the snow along the guardrail. The plow will make some sparks running on the bare areas.

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicIf their anything like here they tend to under plow at the start of the storm :dizzy: especially weekends until a big accident happens, then theyre OK for a while,:salute: and thenthey over plow at the end of the storm. There is no excuse for iced up roads, cars sliding all over the place. The salters are loaded, they got cameras on road, radar. get the salt down before Old Man Winter strikes.:nod:

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Cutting edges are cheaper than salt;)

7. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

last week we had a good 4 inches on the road, they were not plowing, but putting salt down, keep in mind it was still snowing like a banshee yet, then about a hour later, they start plowing, you guessed it all salt winds up on the medians and parkways. Then after the storm is over, you will see them plowing maybe .25 inch off instead of just salting.

8. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if that driver was asleep?...lol
    -------------

Then they wonder why all the deer are eating at the edge of the road,
    ...good ol' salty grass
    -----------------------
    augerandlade-
    If their anything like here they tend to under plow at the start of the storm especially weekends until a big accident happens

Man I lived in TX for 40 years, they still to this day do not put an inth of salt/ sand mix down until they have a minimum of 500 accidents...:dizzy:
    You know that it would melt easy after salting in 20 deg. temps. And they have huge piles sitting in reserve ready to go. Also there are piles along some of the highways so the trucks don't even have to go all they way back to one shop to re-load.

9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

well since sparks are hot, when they hit the pavement they instantly melt all the ice and snow that is on the ground....right?? :D

10. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

looks like he was pushin' some snow, and not making a huge load of sparks. Besides, sparks mean that he's getting down to the pavement, which I think is THE point.

11. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I think this sums it up and the state (or city) doesn't care. Many large municipal plow packages come with mushroom shoes, steel casters or even pneumatic tires that (if adjusted properly) reduce cutting edge wear on the main plow. But when a dealer builds a truck for a municipality or the state, almost without exception these "blade saving" devices are removed totally. It's just easier and faster (not cheaper) to change the blades. Not uncommon for these trucks to go through several blades a season, depending on use.
    I use a former municipal plow for commercial lots and a 10' cutting edge (5/8" thick by 8") is about $350.

12. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

i know a DOT foreman who went to a snow removal conference before the season started, he told me the thing they stressed the most was "Salt is good, sparks are better". Get out there often and early. Also told me they double up on all their edges. Guess money isn't as much of an issue for some

13. truckmonkey

truckmonkey Junior Member

ok i know this is my first post but i felt i had to interveen, i work for a local government in md. almost all of our plows run a carbon cutting edges they spark like crazy but they never wear down i have had my truck for 5 years and one round trip on my route is for me is around 80 miles and its never been replaced. i don't no if this his true with this truck or not unfortently, so i will shut up now. lol

14. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

the gentleman i was talking about says they go through cutting edges like hotcakes. thats just my neighboring town. i don't know anything about other municipalities

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

ok mr monkey. your route is 80 miles and you had the truck for 5 years and you still have the same blade. i got it............................................. you plow in Texas right???

16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I see them all the time plowing nothing. I am literally talking about nothing.... Bare, black, barley wet pavement, hours after storm end. I can never understand why....

17. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Are you driving without lights?

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Thats kinda what I was thinking

19. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

whos responsible for having them work like that, if theres no work for me i go home no work for them and they plow pavement. someone should be held accountable.

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo auqa lung!!