1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT courting local snow plow removers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daveyo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

2. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I drove for a guy that had a DOT contract a few years ago. He paid $10-$15/hr. cash to the drivers, but expected them to drive for him for at least 36 hrs. straight or more. DOT is looking for trucking companies that have like 10 or 12 large tandem dump trucks to clear highways and a front end loader or two to do the on/off ramps. They provide you with the big state owned plow setups (plow only, you provide the truck). They're not interested in a landscaper with one or two pickup trucks.

3. imjustdave

imjustdave Junior Member
    from WA

I'm sure he understands that, but what kind of return is there.......

4. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Right, I don't believe plowing highways with pick up trucks is a great idea. More or less what Dave is saying, whats the experience?

5. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Forget about it!! Unless you have large trucks with plows up your sleeve. :D

Go after the driveways.

;)

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The county I live in puts out a bid for road plowing. You supply the truck, driver, gas, ins,. They supply the belly blade cutting edge and the salt. Last year it went for $65 /hour. with a gaurentee of 200 hours. I know of one construction firm that did not bid it this year because they dropped the amount of hours and they couldn't make money at $65 per hour.

And no, they don't want pick-up trucks around here.

7. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

Yea I already left a message so at least I'll talk to them. With that said I'm pretty booked with commercial work, not that I wouldn't take on any more. Thanks