1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT, CDL, Regulations...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by WinnEnterprises, Jan 26, 2007.

1. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

Hi everyone, just wondering what everyone has for regulations and laws in their area. Here in Missouri the rumor is that any vehicle at 18,000BL and up, used commercially should have a DOT number and be operated by a CDL driver. Wondering if anyone can elaborate on this in their area, horror stories, etc.

2. Rickco

Rickco Member

Actually DOT rules are federal not local. The rule is that any truck weighing 10,001 Lbs-26,000 does require Dot No. and the driver must possess a medical card but not a CDL.
    26,001 and up does requirer a CDL.

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

4. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

One-tons w/ DOT & Signs

The equipment dealers around here, such as KC Bobcat, all run DOT numbers on their one-tons... is this just a precaution? Also a buddy of mine who owns a nursery runs all of his company trucks "clean", he says the sign age, or logos, attract attention from the highway patrol... what do you guys think?
    Thanks

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I have a welder buddy

I have a welder buddy with a F450 and he has DOT numbers,commercial inspection the works...He is by the letter of the law and wouldn't do it if he didn't have to...
    If you plan on towing and your combined weight truck, trailer and load is over 26,001 then you need a class A license...Kind of funny/strange guys with super duty's having to have a class A...
    I guess it all comes down to the risk's you are willing to take with your livelihood!!!!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Actually, Missouri has interpretted the DOT laws differently than everyone else. I forget the particulars, but you want to check with the MDOT.

Yes, I'm serious.

7. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

I have heard the same Mick, which brings me back to my confusion. Pamphlets say this, the web sites say that, my buddies with tickets from the Highway patrol say different yet again. Is there no standardized rule or website or book or something where I guy can get straight answers. Yet another friend of mine told me that the officer that pulled him over more or less told him that the law isn't very clear and it really depends on the officer's mood that day...:dizzy: :dizzy:

8. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

We do some sholder work for MODOT from time to time & asked them this question last year. Anyone that drives a commercial vehicle must have at least a Class E license. After that, the bigger you go, the more testing you have to go through.

9. Mick

from Maine

What is Class E? I'm only finding A, B and C with the usual endorsements:
    http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/apply-cdl.php

10. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I think it is basically a chaufferr's license. I actually am not sure what all it covers except that DOT & the Missouri State Troopers said that is what we should get. It is ONLY because the vehicles are used commercially.

Just did a search - Class E - FOR HIRE

11. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

finally found some information regarding MO laws, check out http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/dlguide/chapter15.pdf
    still seems as though no one web site has all the information.

my google search said it (class e) is for school bus drivers or commercial vehicles (vechicles for hire) under 36,000BL. Carcrz, what is required of someone to get a class e?

12. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Go in & take a written test. The only difference between a regular class F license & the E was 2 questions. I can't remember both of them, but 1 of them was about the tracking of trailer tires & how they take a shorter route. The test was cake.

13. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

I must be brain dead, my other question, or comment, was that it seems as though as long as you have your road triangles and fire extinguishers, there is nothing special required of the vehicle itself if it is licensed for under 26,000. Just the driver needs a class e. does that sound right? Which also makes no sense as to why KC Bobcat runs DOT numbers on all their one-tons...

14. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

You have to remember that your weight is combined weight - truck & trailer. You figure the truck already weighs 10K - 12K I think. It doesn't take much to be at the limit. I really don't remember a lot on the regs for #'s, but it is weight related. I'll try to remember to look in the book when I go into the office next week.

15. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

thanks carcrz, i can't believe after two years of asking around i am finally getting some straight anwsers! :nod:

16. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

No problem. If you have more questions, go into the test taking area & talk to one of the people that looks like they know what they are talking about. In Lee's Summit, it is run by the State Patrol so I talked to them quite a bit.

17. Mick

from Maine

If they are operating in a state other than the state in which they are registered, then they would need a DOT #.

In Maine, I can drive my own truck registered Commercial with a Class C (non-CDL) driver's license if it's under 26,000 # - no air brakes, etc. I don't need any numbers, med card etc. I'll probably need to get a Commercial inspection the next time, but right now I've even got a passenger vehicle inspection because that's how I bought it. But then needed to register Commercial in order to get Liability insurance.

18. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Dot

I got hammered in Pa about 2 yrs ago with my last F550. The short version is I need a USDOT to run commercially between states since my vehicle is for business. I need a medical card because my truck GVW is over 16,000#. I need a drug test to go with the medical card--noone tells you that part. If your trailer is over 10,001 # you must register your truck/trailer in combination and have a class A CDL. The truck and trailer must have a FMCSA yearly inspection in addition to any state inspection if either or both pieces GVW is 16,000# or more. If you have employees you also nedd to take a USDOT class on drug testing your employees--YES I'm serious. Don't try to play dumb if these guys pull ya over; it pisses em off more. All this stuff is federal it has nothing to do with state laws even tho local cops happily enforce them.
    The only good news is if they do get ya you can get on a payment plan to pay off the fines. For the word from the horses mouth so to speak look up USDOT or FMSCA( federal motor carrier safety administration) If you have any other questions I'll gladly try to help. I wouldn't wish this crap on anybody. It's too $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:angry:

19. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

ok, so DOT numbers are required for INTERstate carriers, not INTRAstate carriers? and i don't quite understand the registering your vehicle and trailer together part you mentioned BOSS...

20. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

Just got done talking to my Bobcat sales man about all this and he informed me of a lot. Regulations regarding commercial trucks are put out in several ways including federal, state, city and county. For example here in KC Missouri, we have a KCDOT as well as all the other, that of course have separate regulations than the others. Machines/Equipment 10,000lbs. and heavier require four chains and boomers instead of the two must of us are use to. All and all state may says this, but federal says that... you can't win... It is ridiculous to think that they can to a point pull you over for a routine stop and most likely find something wrong with your rig, according to somebody. :realmad: Makes we want to go into the DOT business payup payup :angry: