1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT cant plow at Night its illegal???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FisherVMan, Feb 14, 2010.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Has someone been eating ****** sandwitches again??? A friend told me last nite that he heard on the national news that one of the area down around DC got so horribly far behind trying to plow the last blizzard they had because there is a LAW that states they CAN NOT plow the roads after dark????:nono:
    Did he hear that wrong or are we really that far gone in America???? I am still having trouble believing that we have Barney Frank, a common child molester, as the head of the largest lending institution in this country a man that would not qualify to run a 7/11 on the nite shift................... :realmad:
    I am spun out thinking that ANY state would write that law . Can someone confirm that is true ?????:eek:
  2. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

around here it is illegal to have anything wider then 8'6" without a wide load permit. even with the permit, it's only valid during daylight hours, but its not ever enforced during a storm and our munipalities don't stop plowing during the overnight even though they are too wide.
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Government runs under different guidelines than us common folk. Friend of mine swung a deal doing the ditching work for some lots that he severed (municipalities responsibility) he saved some clawback. On one of the loads he was a little overweight and got caught by MTO. In speaking with the Road Super he was made aware of this provision and given a letter from the municipality that he was under their supervision for the scope of the work. Bang no more fine, still had to go to court though.
    Ever wonder how they run those road graders and sanders over bridges and roads under weight constrictions.
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure that if there is a law about plowing after a certain time, it doesn't apply to the DOT... especially during a state of emergency. A friend of mine plows for the NY State DOT, and most laws about weight, width, etc. don't apply to them... ever. They do what they've gotta do.

There's a good possibility... too many of those can affect your spelling skills.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hee hee hee...
  6. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I have never heard of that law, but everyone was out plowing all night around the DC beltway.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

There are such things as noise laws between specific times.

We have that challenge on several office buildings in Ann Arbor......can't drop a plow before 7:00am because of complainers.
  8. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

This is what I found on google.
    Too Dangerous to Plow, D.C., Area Governments Halt Snow Removal
    FOX ^

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:59:49 AM by Sub-Driver

Too Dangerous to Plow, D.C., Area Governments Halt Snow Removal

Washington, D.C., and neighboring Montgomery County, Md., may have just lived up to its reputation as "wimpy" weather warriors -- suspending snow plow operations as a blizzard bears down on the region.

Or maybe not.

The National Weather Service on Wednesday used the phrases "extremely dangerous" and "life-threatening blizzard" to describe conditions in Baltimore and Washington, which have both set records this week for the snowiest seasons ever. Wind gusts have reached as high as 60 miles per hour as the blizzard passed through the region.

According to NOAA, before now, the snowiest month on record for Washington, D.C., was 35.2 inches, set in February 1899. By the end of the snowfall Wednesday, areas of Washington will have seen as much as 52 inches in February 2010.

The Washington Post reports that Pepco, the local electric utility, has suspended repair operations for the 3,500 homes in the Washington and Maryland suburbs that are still without power after the weekend's storms.

Alexandria, Va., emergency services also issued a warning, "Due to blizzard conditions and near-zero visibility on the roadways, to protect the safety of city employees and residents, all snowplowing operations have been temporarily suspended until weather conditions improve."

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
  9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

wow, im just glad i dont live where you guys do. we dont get bothered at all around here. us snow plows do roll throughs on red lights and stop signs during early hours and cops dont care.
  10. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

same here lol
  11. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

The plows were asked to pull over due to white out conditions. They are allowed to operate at night.

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am glad we don't have half that cr@p where i am, i would have a really hard time keeping my temper in check if cops around here pulled a lot of the sh!t that has been on recent threads
  13. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Don't know if it is true or not, but it definetly would explain why the roads around here don't get plowed until after 7am:laughing:.

On another note, it would surprise me if any government agency followed any of the laws/regulations that they themselves have passed into lawussmileyflag.
  14. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

we have been plowing at night in baltimore
  15. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

Not sure where you heard that from but I would say not true as crews are out 24-7 during a storm they did however put some crews on stanby during the extreme conditions (high winds) but that was only for a short time
  16. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

There have been a handful of times this winter where the state DOT suspended plowing efforts at night due to visibility and conditions. The nighttime made a bad situation worse.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The state stopped plowing one storm last year. I was out trying to knock stuff down. Had to drive/plow through 8 inches just to get around. Came home to make a pit stop. Our town's contractor was still out, roads weren't bad. But the visibility was dreadful. I came around the last corner by my house at 5mph. Couldn't see anything. Parked the truck and went to sleep. Got yelled at by the wife for leaving the truck running for three hours. This was after the starter had died in the backup truck.

18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I think I've finally got it... are sandwitches those women on the beach with the pointy black hats?? :dizzy:
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's good. I'm not sure it's as good as the Dr. Seuss line, but it's good.

20. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It's called a snow emergency.
    Issue it and put the blade down and the pedal to the floor.