1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DOT auctions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maclawnco, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

I saw on CL a number of really well priced old DOT single axle salt trucks. If I wanted to get a couple for my own use direct from the DOTs themselves, anyone know where to get the auction dates? Looking for OH, IN, IL, or PA. Thanks

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I went to a ny one most of the stuff was pretty beat, look at the different auction sites, or call the dot they should be able to tell you who has the contract.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I can only speak for IDOT stuff but be careful. They take their equipment to the point of no return and then sell it. I've seen the auction lists before, try CMS (Central Management Services) I think they list IDOT trucks once in awhile. I know locally, there are usually 1 or 2 auctions per year, usually in the spring and fall, for munis.

4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Most of the trucks at aution around here are scrap.

5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Boy they look rough.

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

The Best part is The Gooberment Pays way less for Vehicles than you and i......

Example....I was in a Ford Dealer that sells Alot of Trucks to The Government.....I priced out a F-250 XL Gasser...Not to Many Bells and Whistles....My price with A Plan..$33865....He showed me what they Charge The Government.......$23500...I was Floored......I never Knew this was going on.....:eek:

8. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've made quite a few bids on trucks through our state surplus auction. I haven't won anything yet. Obviously I bid too low, but I'm just not going to gamble more than several hundred for a truck I can't drive and is totally as is.

10. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have an ex-Municipal truck. I went to an auction that had vehicles from various local agencies and a few PA DOT trucks. 95% of all these vehicles were dumps with plows on them. Most of them had salt spreaders attached to the back and the spreaders most have been left on all year round?

The dump beds, their hinge pins and undersides were all wrecked from salt. The cabs and frames were all pretty rough too. I got the impression that after each use, they just parked them outside till the next storm. I don't think they EVER washed them off. The only reason I bought mine was the low miles and the plow was in next to new condition. It was a strange setup though, as the electrics and pump were a Meyer E60H and the plow a Western 9ft Pro plow.

We own a machine shop, so doing the repairs were not a great big deal. My main concern was mechanical and I ended up having to replace one of the main beams under the dump bed and replace the hinge pins. When I fixed the beam and hauled my first load, the hinges just ripped across the top, as they were that rusted. The truck I bought (94GMC 3500 dually) was probably the best one there.

IMHO, there are no bargains at these sales unless you have the ability to do all of the welding and repair work yourself. You also need extensive knowledge of how these trucks work and what to look for, as some damage looks terrible when in fact it is an easy fix. Some damage looks like and easy fix when in fact it isn't worth you time and effort in most cases!

11. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

That's why so many municipalities and oil companies run Fords. Around here in Casper, WY, every where you look are white (it seems all of them only come in white except for WYDOT yellow) Fords.