1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dot approved mud flaps

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by qualitycut, Feb 23, 2010.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Had some nice mud flaps I ordered and the mecanic at my old mans work told me the bottom of the flap can't be more than 9 in from the ground. Anyone have pics or ideas on mud flaps?
  2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Put them on anyway. I drive a dump truck for a living and never once had DOT mess with my flaps and i bet they are a good 12in off the ground maybe more. I put them on that way so when i back into soft mud and sink in i wont rip the flap off.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If your just putting them on your pickup, i wouldnt worry about the height. Thats more for the big trucks.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a friend who had mud flaps on his one ton dump that were about 1" off the ground unloaded. Whenever he loaded the dump with more then one ton of material the flaps would drag on the ground.

He would get stopped all the time and I could be right behind him or in front of him with the same load and go right through. Most of the time he would scale out fine Finally we cut about 6" off the flaps and he has not been pulled over since.

FYI my flaps sit 10" off the ground unloaded.
  5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

The dot tech said they wouldn't sign off on my dot inspection if the were not right. I didn't have my last truck doted or have mud flaps when I got pullled over and the officer never said a thing.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

DOT probably figured he was overweight with them dragging on the ground.