1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doors Won't Open When It's Cold Outside

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mojob, Dec 13, 2007.

1. mojob

mojob Member

My 98 GMC 3500's doors won't open when the temps fall below freezing. They're not frozen shut. It feels like the doors are still locked when you try to lift the door handles. Both doors do it. It doesn't have power locks so I know it's a problem in the doors themselves. Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm hoping to get some advice before I remove the door panels.
  2. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

I'd try some spray lube on the latch assembly's.
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I have only one thing to say, Fuild Film
  4. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Some armorall on the gaskets will help alot too
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yep, Fluid Film your gaskets, locks,etc
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

My old k3500 '97 - same issue. I used armor all for the rubber seals every month or so. For the hinges and inside the door locks I used white lithium spray. Nothing else works like this stuff.
  7. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

sounds like a personal problem ;)

but ya fluid film will def work
  8. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

My truck 2005 GMC 2500 has one door that doesnt like to un lock in cold weather, pass door works fine.

Has power looks too.

Time to visit the dealer I guess
  9. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Sounds like a job for Fluid Film to me. :D
  10. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I beleive there is a Factory Service Bulletin on an issue dealing with that also.
  11. mojob

mojob Member

Here's a follow up on this if any one is interested. It ended up being the door latches inside the doors. They were just worn out. The truck has always been in the landscape business. I bought it from a large outfit that was going out of business and I'm sure both doors got a workout every day for eight years. I should have taken this into account. Thanks for all the replies.