1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doors every hit one of them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doh, Dec 21, 2006.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

Many doors have been swung open in front of me, has anyone taken one off? NO but

SO many times I cannot add them all, one spot on main street is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO narrow it is hard to miss.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. doh

doh Senior Member

People "Never"
    look to see if a big redthing is coming at them!!!!!
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

unfortunately I always seem to just miss them. It's as if the harder I try, the farther I get from actually take off some idiots door.
  4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

How does that work insurance wise, is your fault if they don't look and you take their door off? Just wondering.
  5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I personally have 2 doors, a couple mirrors, a front clip and also an entire snowmobile.

All of these were not my fault. Few parking lot incidents, etc. Insurance helps in these matters.

Not that i'm a bad driver but I am an idiot magnet in a parking lot. I've had a couple cars hit me both moving and sitting still.
  6. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I'm not too sure, but i think that it would be the fault of the person opening the door. they didn't look to see if any one was coming, and how are you supposed to know that there is a guy in his car getting ready to open his door??
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to sound like a sexist jerk here, but here's my door story: I worked for four years in a busy downtown area. Historic district with narrow streets and not enough parking, cars park on both sides and there is not enough room to pass a car if the door is open. It aggravated me to no end. One day I noticed it was almost always females... I started counting, after keeping track for a couple years I figured it was females 95% of the time flinging their doors open into traffic without looking. I mentioned it to somebody who told me it is something called "spatial orientation" which means being aware of your surroundings. Apparently due to a gender disorder women generally do not have any spatial orientation.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In Mn the person opening the door is 100% at fault.
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bet it could go either way, depending on the circumstances and the officer investigating. Law here says you have to be able to stop for anything that happens in front of you, at anytime for any reason. But obviously the investigating officer should take into account that the guy would have stopped if he possibly could have, and the nitwit would not have opened her door if she had been paying attention.
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Mn traffic code:
    Opening and closing vehicle doors.

No person SHALL open any door on a motor vehicle unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic.
    No person SHALL allow ant door on a vehicle on the side of a vehicle to adjacent to moving traffic to remain open for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Word for word from the traffic code book.
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

detroitdan you are correct about the spatial orientation. women in general dont have it, and its funny. i have driven for over a mile next to my mom on the highway, and she didnt even notice me there until i started honking my horn.
    i thought this thread was going to be about garage doors people have hit. so far i have only slid into 1 and hopefully have learned my lesson. always assume that there will be ice in front of the door.
  12. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

spatial orientation. I think guys learn this at puberty from always having to look around for girls to stare at .
  13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I totaled a car by hitting the door.. Tor it rite off Bent the pillar and broke the windshield.

O... Did I mention I was riding my bicycle at the time!!!!! wesport
  14. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

you are correct, and to ad to it the law also states that if your vehicle is on any public roadway, you must be in total control at all times.. moving or not. I was once hit from behind while stopped at a red light and pushed into the car in front of me. My insurance had to pay for the damage to the front of my truck and the car in front of me. what a racket! The guy who caused the whole thing should have paid for it all.

rayf268---> I totally agree!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope never hit one. What this have to do with snow removal? :confused:
  16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Can you tell us how that is possible, and how bad it probly had to hurt. You probly had to have been going pretty fast.
  17. doh

doh Senior Member

Driving through towm with an 8.5' shovel on the front of your truck, nobody every seems to notice you coming before they get out of their parked car
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yes, We have the same law here and that law does not apply to every situation. If it did we would not need any other traffic laws.

In your situation you rear ended a vehicle.

Call your Ins agent, a cop, go Look up the state statute like i did, do some research for yourself before you chime in with incorrect information.:drinkup: :drinkup: :waving:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It no different when you don't have plow on, people still open their doors in front of you. :rolleyes:
  20. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

first off, I did not rear end the car in front of me, I was pushed into it. My insurance agent told me I was not faulted for the accident, just responsible for paying the damage to that one car. (was a 4 car accident in all) I did do pleanty of reasearch, other wise I would not have had knowledge of the law in question. and I certainly did not "chime in with incorrect information" as you accuse me of.

secondly, how can you say we would need no other traffic laws? I guess in you opinion, maintaining control by itself would prevent traffic jams instead of traffic lights, stop signs, or other markers, all bridges would hold trucks no matter what weight someone decided was safe enough to drive with and so on.

I'd sugest if you plan on pointing fingers at someone for being incorrect, that you make sure you are correct in the accusation and not incorrect with your own info... at least in the same post

Happy Holidays