1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Door will not open GRR

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PasionitGrandpa, Jan 31, 2011.

1. PasionitGrandpa

PasionitGrandpa Junior Member

I know this is a little off topic but, I got a 99 club cab I think that is what you call it and the passenger rear door will not open. I took the door handle out and the panel to have better access. The top pin works great but the bottom one is not releasing. I have pried on the lock itself, soaked it in PB Blaster as well as the bottom of the door just above the rocker panel. Any idea's on how to get the bottom to release?

I have been at this for 3 days now and I was going to bend the bottom of the door up but then I thought I better not.

Also anyway to adjust the passing gear cable?

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 98. Somehow both doors stopped opening at the same time. My mechanic said the bottom latch has either broken or seized and I'm looking at $75 in parts per door, plus labor to fix it. I tried to jimmy the latch like you did with no luck.
  3. PasionitGrandpa

Hmm seems like a lot of money, their has to be a way to shimmy a screwdriver in it and pop the lock but I tried and tried that. Just for *hits and giggles after my granddaughter lays down for a nap I am going to call a couple of body shops just to see.

I will post the results also.

Still open to idea's!
  4. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I had the same problem. I got mine open by spraying the hell out of the lower catch with any penetrant I could get my hands on. I used WD40 but I hear Fluid Film works great on just about anything. There's a forum on this site for it. It's available at John Deere dealers.The problem with mine wasn't the catch, it was the post on the rocker panel. There is a sleeve around the post that turns when the door opens, mine was frozen solid. Once I got it open I sprayed the thing with WD40 thru the straw until it stopped bleeding rust and then sprayed it with white lithium grease. It worked for me! Good luck.
  5. PasionitGrandpa

Thanks for the info Chip, I used PB and today I went and bought some new stuff out on the market that is 8 bucks a can, it is called Freeze-Off by CRC Guaranteed Satisfaction! or your money back, so will see if this stuff works, I never heard of that and if that don't cut it there is a John Deere dealer not to far from where I live.
  6. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

There dodges doors didnt open either. Just deal with it like they did

7. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Awesome photo... love those Duke Boys...

The doors are a super common problem. I will check my dodge ram forum. I know there are tons of right ups on them...
  8. DieselRam99

DieselRam99 Junior Member
    from Midwest

My 99 started to get hard to open also. I had to have someone on the inside kicking the bottom of the door while I pulled from the outside. It took a little bit to get them open, but once it was open I sprayed the h*ll out of the top and bottom latches and would open and shut the door while holding the handle open. Now if I have to pull with more than one hand to open them I spray them up again. As the inside handle is connected with a cable that is not very strong, that's why I use the handle between the doors.
  9. PasionitGrandpa

@ MrPlow All I can say is LMAO

@DieselRam the top latch is fine, like I said the bottom won't open but next time my son comes over I will try that, have him inside kicking the h*ll out of it, I already know once I get it open I was going to replace it, if I don't get the torches out first...lol...didn't get a chance to work on it today was out plowing all day. Thanks for the advice.

SNOW-BOSS Junior Member

Mine did the same thing and I had to cut the bolts off with a die grinder to get it open. Now I just have to replace the latch.
  11. PasionitGrandpa

What do you mean by that SNOW? I took the nuts off so what your trying to tell me is die grind the studs themselves? I ain't doing *hit until this ice storm and uuu buuuur this cold weather lightens up...lol

SNOW-BOSS Junior Member

Yes I understand that. I had to cut the studs off because once you take the nuts off you can't push the stud down thru because it hits underneath. I cut the studs off the best I could since there is not much room to work in there and then pryed the door open and I am now just using the top latch. I also figured I would wait for warmer weather since I do not have a heated garage to work in. I tried everything else to get it fixed first and nothing else worked. Even my mechanic looked at it, then laughed at me and said good luck.