1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Door handle help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eastcoastjava, Apr 2, 2013.

1. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Need to replace the exterior front passenger door handle on an 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I understand that i have to pop off the door panel, unplug all the connections but were do i go from there. Checked 1A auto, but there video is sort of useless, it involves doing something with the window and the track, any way i can avoid doing that if i even do have to do that. O by the way the exterior passenger front handle has key hole.

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Put the window up. Take out the 7mm screw behind the door handle, pull out the power window switches and pull the 7mm screw behind there. I prefer to pop out the slide lock and the plastic shield around the door handle lever, pop out he corner light and unplug that. You also have to remove the triangle plastic behind the mirror. Now lift up the door panel and set to the side. You have to reach up in behind the glass with a 1/4" ratchet and shallow 10mm socket and break the nut free for the door handle, the spin off by hand. Then you can see an access hole in the door for the other lower nut, remove that one. Then pull the plastic door plug for access to the upper/outer nut and remove that. Then you can pull the handle mech out, unsnap the linkage. All you have to do to remove the lock tumbler is remove the clip and slide it out. For the new handle just shove the lock tumbler back in past the clip, to reattach the linkage i find it easier to open the handle some and then rehook. Then open the handle a little and slide the top in 1st and then push the door handle in place. then reassemble.