1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Door ajar light wont go off doors wont lock

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bow hunter, Nov 1, 2005.

1. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

Hello i have a problem with my 2003 ford f 250 psd the door ajar light wont go out (all doors closed for sure) my doors wont lock i hit the button they go down then dirver dor pops up again,inside lights stay on as well as cargo light .they will go out after about 15 minutes.its like my door is open but its not.PLEASE can some body help me,this is going to kill my batarys:cry: :cry: :cry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the ext cab theres a switch at the bottom of the door.
    the tip is the size of a ball point pen and junk gets into it .
    I have the 2002 f250 the dealer replaced it for free.Give them a call or stop by it took only about half hour to fix.

3. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

its a crew cab where is this switch,give me land marks please

4. grandview

On the ext cab it's on your bottom of the back door its like a tiny little nob.

5. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

I looked i could not find i know its a switch or sensor some where do you think it could be a fuse

6. grandview

If it was a fuse then your lights won't go on.
    If there full size doors it may be somewhere else.
    Mine was right at the botton and hit the rocker.
    Let us know what happens.

7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The dome light switch is in the door latch mechanism in the door.

When this happened to my 01 extended cab I sprayed (soaked) WD40 on the latch on the door and it fixed me up.

Good luck
    S

8. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

:salute: ok i got it fixed,thanks to your tips thanks guys.what i did was pull off the door panel found 2 connectors going to a box on the door latch assy.i pulled off both connertors cleaned them (a little corroded)pluged the bottom one in ,nothing,pluged the top in, bingo, lights went out.i also tapped on the box they where plugged into.i works for now.:drinkup: purplebou :redbounce :

9. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Yeah thanx for the tips, I have the same problem on my 02' SD reg. cab. The damn "door ajar" light won't go out.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If cleaning and lubing the switch's does not work:
    An old trick we use on ambulances is to duct tape a dime over the place the switch lands on the door. The doors are opened and shut so many times a day that after a while the door wears / deforms inward. My Windstar has contacts that hit brass plates on the door edge. Every 6 months I clean them with fine steel wool and put dielectric grease on them.

11. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

oh yea i also wd-40 the latch seems like its operateing better.thanks again:waving: