1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Door ajar light always on?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Elite Property Services, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I can't figure out why on my 99 superduty the door ajar light is always on resulting in the dome and cargo light staying on. Any help would be great thanks Nathan
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a stuck pin. If it's like the newer Fords it's in the door lock and it's like a ballpoint pent it get suck and causes it to stay on.
  3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

The door latch has a plunger type switch mounted in it. It is low on the latch so it can corrode and stick. Spray it down with WD-40 to dry it out then some penetrating fluid. Now just use the door for a day or two. If this does not work you will have to remove the latch and replace the switch. NAPA has them in both cheep line Balkamp 6751593 as well as good line Echlin DJ6165. Hope this helps.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fluid Film works ALOT better for this then WD-40 crap
    The FF lubricates the assembly very well
  5. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I had a 99 that did the same thing the dealer I spoke with a tech from the dealer I bought it from and he told me to spray WD-40 down in the door around the mechanical latch it seemed to fix the problem.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

An old Ambulance trick we use is to tape a dime over the place the switch plunger lands.
    Ambulance doors get slammed so many times in their life the steel gets a dimple. Then the switch does not fully close.
  7. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Got it fixed all it needed was lube.:D
  8. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

My recommendation of WD-40 was to remove the moisture. Then lube it. I only use WD-40 to remove moisture.
  9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Wd40 sprayed inside the door latch, window up!! Work door handle....