1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't want to buy a lemon

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JR. Snowplow, Oct 30, 2006.

1. JR. Snowplow

JR. Snowplow Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hey guys, i'm new to the snowplowing business, so a little help with two Q: would start my season of well. I'm looking at 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 tomorrow, it has been used as a plow truck for the last 5 years, from what he's have told me, its been maintained regularly. It has 220 000 km on it, and the tranny has been replaced once. He also told me there's a homing sound that comes from the Differenchial, but not to worry, it's been making that noise since day 1. Something to do with shimming in the rear end, he said he can make the sound go away but the rear end won't last then, could this be true. My main question is what are the most important things i should be looking for when i have it over tomorrow, i do have access to a hoist.
    Thanks Brad
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How much are they asking for the truck? Is it in good shape or is it all dented and scratched? Take it for a good test drive and check the steering, accelorating, stopping, roll the windows down with radio off to listen for banging and clunk noises. The humming from the differential would have me curious. I don't see a brand new truck leaving the lot having a humming differential front or rear and then never being fixed. The tranny being replaced once is normal within that mileage. When it's on the hoist or lift check the front end for any play, ball joints and tie rods. Do a Kelly Blue Book check also for kicks and maybe you could use it as a bargaining tool. Post pics of it if you can, that would help us too. Good luck.
  3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Trust me when i say this. I have had the expirence....Number 1 thing CHECK FOR RUST on the following: Oil pan, brake lines, Fuel lines, Fuel Rail, Headers, Starter/Starter mount , Fluid lines for everything! Number 2. How dose the tranny shift?? Number 3. Steering / Driveablity With and With out the plow on. ( every used Ram has Worn Ball joints ) Which Cause everything(tires, Trac bar, Steering shaft, sway bar, T-rod ends, Steering stabilizer ) to wear 10x faster. Number 4. BRAKES . How spongy is the pedal? , Do the rear drums lock up with a soft tap on the pedal? Dose it feel like a smooth stop? Number 5..Engine Temp with plow on. Number 6. Transfer Case. Dose it shift in and out 4 wheel smoothy??

I think that about covers my check list...Just use common sense also. I recommend also if you do get this truck Have a FUL service/ Tune up performed --- Plugs, Wires, Distributor cap, Air Filter, Oil / Filter change, Tranny Fliud Changed (Do NOT get a FLUSH) , Transfer case fluid change, and New gear oil in both Front and Rear Diff's..

When I first bought my used gas truck it had a humming in the rear end that went away after flushing the gear oil...If your serious about getting this truck do yourself a favor and Go over everything I mentioned..TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Used for a plow truck for the past 5 years enough said unless its a crazy price.
  5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Did you get this truck???
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

a used truck is always goign to have rust and problems its just how bad are they and how mucha re you willing to put into it. we have a 98 ram 2500 we got last year and its a nice truck i dont know about yours but how much do they want we paid $9,200 last year with a plow and only 48k