1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dont want to be a lowballer...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DCL, Oct 21, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Looking for some honesty...Im bidding on a school I really want to win. But I also dont want to be a lowballer. Im mainly in the hardscape industry and can not stand low ballers!
    Heres a pic of the property (kind of a funny picture, found it on their website lol, actually close to scale with the parking places and everything....

[​IMG]

Plowing with a 79' chevy deluxe w/ fisher 8' straight blade. 7' 2yd downeaster sander. 07' chevy 3500 dump with possible fisher XLS blade also may be able to pitch in on that route.....

... Advice?

2. DCL

DCL Member

3. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Do they want it bid per push, per storm, per hour, seasonal, etc? Do you have to put the snow anywhere in particular? Trigger? How long are the drives? parking lot dimensions? How many events do you average?

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

id get a reliable truck first! no offense but that driveshaft has got to be ready to snap. your gonna be up shart creek when ur 30yr old truck breaks down. some of us arent even that old!!

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

suzuki man, you never know, if he has a 3/4 ton with the gear drive transfercase, and a 454, and keeps his equipment clean and maintained, he may be out plowing you this year, lol

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Those 70's Chevy were the best truck to plow with. Easy to maintain ,blow a motor or tranny and you can replace it in a little bit of time.

Are this bids open to the public? If so they don't just take the lowest bids but they take most responsible bidder.

Another words,you maybe lowest but the look at your equipment and may not think it can do the job and they go with a higher bidder based on equipment.

7. DCL

DCL Member

Would be per storm price. As far as lot and drive size, use the parking spaces as a referance (8' parking spaces). I dont have exact dimensions but the main drive all around & driveways are about a 1/2 mile plus the parking lot. Plowing starts at 3". As far as average storms, I dont know, ive been trying to do some research about that.

...what do you think? 2 1/2 hrs with one truck?

8. DCL

DCL Member

suzuki...i do have a reliable truck. an 07 chevy 3500 duramax dump. And the 79' has been practically redone, new motor, new transmission, exhaust, gas tank, lines, brakes, new beefy suspension, and some small stuff... all within the last few years. I know the company I bought it off and they take real good care of their stuff. Im not worried. and plus I think it looks sweet. I love 70s trucks.

9. DCL

DCL Member

Any agree with 2 1/2 hours? Just plowing.

10. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

need to know the square footage of the lot

11. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

need to know dimensions and placement of the snow first.

12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your very right. buddy of mine had a 79 with a turbo 400 trans i believe. rear driveshaft rusted out at the end of the year. the transfer case was out 3/4 of the year and he was plowing in 2wd didnt even know it. it was a tough truck ill give you that. but you never know.

13. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

Becoming a lowballer sometimes depends on how bad you want to win.

14. DCL

DCL Member

Sq. footage of the main lot is about 5000. Then the road & drives total about a half mile. Snow will be pilled towards the eastern side of the lot (towards the athletic field). Roads/ drive can be angled towards the outside edges.

....maybe that will help a tad more. lol sorry!