1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't wanna get ripped off!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy Girl, May 29, 2008.

1. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Junior Member

Anyone have a ballpark amount on what it should cost to replace an ignition switch on a '03 Silverado Duramax? I'm taking it into the Chevy dealer, and I'm tired of getting over charged!:yow!:
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should run you around $200 or so to replace and reprogram the switch if your telling them to just go ahead and replace it.

If you have them diagnose it first to verify the switch is actually the problem, then add about an hour to the labor time rate (whatever it is). :)
  3. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Junior Member

You rock Snofighter! Thanks! I'm just fed up with being scammed from auto shops cuz I'm female.......I'm sure it happens to guys too. I read your advice on my other post as well; I hope it's just the ignition switch! It's just weird that the hose to the radiator was compressed:confused:
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes being female can definitely be a disadvantage when it comes to dealing with certain establishments...and your thinking is correct, plenty of guys out there that it happens to as well...even if some of them wont admit it. :D

The collapsed coolant hose can really only be caused by one thing, air...or lack of coolant in the system. Which could also explain the overheat condition. Did you find any leaks in the system...or a low coolant level in the coolant tank before you opened the system to change out the T-stats?

Most common things on a D-max truck that lead to a coolant loss are a failed water pump...and occasionally a head gasket.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6. Chevy Girl

Chevy Girl Junior Member

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

its ok, Grandview embarrasses himself all the time...lol:jester:
  8. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

If you think they rip females off you should try livung near a military post where as soon as they see the dod sticker on your vehicle they try to rip you off no matter your age gender they see a soldier and see $$$$$! You really haft to look around in life to find a good mechanic thats gonna look out for the consumer and not what they can rip you off on.