1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't touch my backup buddy!

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by ff1241, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ff1241

ff1241 Member

I find that people like to play with the switches on my backup buddy. I'll go to back up and find them off or I'll get flagged down and told that my backup lights are on. Anyone else have this problem?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope...........

3. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

Nobody really has ever touched it this season, just wise guys on here complaining about how much other people have spent on there's! I find it funny how the guys that talk crap don't own them...:laughing:

4. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Unless you own one, most people don't even know there are switches on them , check with your friend, co-workers or employees if you have any.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I discovered yesterday morn(after plowing for several hrs) that someone stole my pin & my BUB was barely hanging on in the reciever, I assume someone tried to take whole thing, but maybe they just wanted a pin.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Nope mine are tied in to my reverse lights

Now my Spreader lights some times I forget about turning them off Someone plays with that switch my truck wont start

7. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

We have had several people have them stolen. I have a locking pin in all of mine.

8. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I bought a Master #1479DAT Barbell™ hitch lock to use with my DeVere Enterprises DFSPLR plow lock, then found out the plow lock can't accept the ⅝" span pin on the hitch lock. I got some locks with ½" span pins for the plow locks, and will use the 1479DAT to secure my Back-Up Buddy.

It won't prevent anyone from diddling with the toggle switches, but should keep the Back-Up Buddy on the truck.

9. backupbuddy

Have you had your messed with? I've only had it happen once.

10. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

It's a shame we have to spend the $ to buy locks, cameras, alarms etc. to protect the things we work hard for when a bullet is so much cheaper and more effective.

11. Maine_Train

No, I'm still working on installing mine. (Sliding it into the receiver.) I did a bunch of filing on the inside of the receiver, and got the end of the B-UB back to the hole for the locking pin, but it still needs work. (I've had the truck since 12/2010 and never towed with it, so this stuff hasn't reared its ugly head before.)

But I'm into preventing theft, so once I get it on there, I'll lock it. Somebody fiddling with the switches would annoy me, but someone stealing it would really make me cranky. :gunsfiring:
    I've never seen a B-UB around here, so others might be interested in one, but they can buy their own and leave mine the hell alone.

I think the "tab" for my 7-pin jack (RV connector) got bent, and the cover wouldn't open up enough to insert the plug. I don't know if it wasn't making contact, or if something else is up with the connector/wiring on the truck, but it doesn't light up. I'm 99.99% sure the problem is on the truck, not the Back-Up Buddy.
    Luckily, the nearest Fisher dealer is a trailer dealer, so maybe Monday I'll take a ride up there and see if they can help.
    We're supposed to get some snow/ice tonight and tomorrow, so I just hope they're not up to their butts in work on plows and sanders.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  12. Maine_Train

Yep. It doesn't happen often, but it's a royal PITA when something gets stolen. Makes you want to open fire on somebody, or at least sic the dog on them. :mad:

The only plow theft in Maine that I've heard about so far this season was from a charitable organization up in Bangor. They bought a truck and plow to save money on clearing their property, and some SOB stole the plow. Fisher donated a replacement, and a few nights later the director of the non-profit was at the office doing paperwork around 11:30, and just happened to look out in time to see a couple of guys "eyeballing" the new plow.
    DeVere Enterprises donated one of their locking devices, and I added a Master Lock and sent it up to the place in Bangor. I hope it keeps their plow on their property.

13. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Good for you for doing that as well as Fisher and DeVere Enterprises. Pretty low life scum that steal from charities. We even have them stealing collection jars to help needy/sick families which is even lower.

14. Maine_Train

Low-life bastitches. :angry:

Anyway, the local Fisher dealer, who is primarily a trailer fabrication/sales/service place, helped me get my B-UB installed on Thursday. The tech said filing the inside of the receiver wouldn't really accomplish much. They take a hammer and whale the receiver a few times until the rust falls off the inside, then sweep or blow out the loose chunks. It looks crude, but it works. :D
    They also discovered that my RV socket was corroded, and once that was replaced, the lights worked fine. The additional light is great when backing up at night. Thumbs Up

And so far, I don't think anyone has messed with the switches except me. Haven't tried the LED flasher for plowing yet, but I'm sure an opportunity will arise sometime between now and Memorial Day. :cool:

15. backupbuddy

Maine Train glad to hear you finally got it in and it's was working. Hopefully you get some snow soon. We have plowed 2 times and salted 9 times feeling like 2010-2011.